Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Bird Alighting on Outside Cameras?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

I installed my 3rd (of 4) camera on a velcro'd magnetic mount on the top lip of my back garage.  In other words, somewhat exposed.  Also, I'm thinking of installing my 4th in my backyard lemon tree (for several advantageous reasons) on  a screw-in stand-alone mount.

I just started to wonder, would either of these be attractive to birds to try to perch onto?  The lemon tree location is fairly branch-enclosed so I'm not worrying much about that particular one.  However, the other one is eight feet above and sticking out on the side of my house attached to the magnetic ball.  I'd hate for either camera to be scratched, knocked out of the magnetic mount, or (multiple-horrors) be snatched and end up in another state (kidding I hope).

Too active an imagination/much ado about nothing?  Thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisS
Aspirant
Aspirant

I laughed when I saw this, but then I wondered... Probably a valid question.  I just may experiment and put a stick or ball or something that sticks out somewhere on the outside of my house just to see if it is an attractant to birds (not that I'm really going to monitor it 24/7 or anything).

Target_Acquired
Apprentice
Apprentice
Most likely, birds won't want to perch on the camera. Too smooth and rounded. But they could decide to build a nest on it, then all bets are off.

Once a nest appears, mama bird will start getting protective. Clear unwanted nests FAST, unless you are willing to run a boarding facility!
dfreder
Aspirant
Aspirant

These is a possibility that birds may land on the camera and even more so if there is a nest close by. I've found over the years that Wrens want to nest between the wall and my exterior light fixtures. I've got to keep an eye on them and clean out their attempts to start a nest there. I now have a camera near a lamp and I had an alarm earlier today and have video of a wren on the lamp. I installed two Solar Motion Sensor Lights a number of months ago above our garage and I've seen them landing both behind the solar panels and behind the lamps the last few days. The panels and lamps are separate.