Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Poor signal strength causing motion detection issue on one camera

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
nflyer
Tutor
Tutor

I just set up a 3 camera Arlo system.  One camera is on the edge of the maximum distance from my router/base station.  Signal strength is poor at best causing missed motion detection or very delayed notification.  For example, I drove out of the driveay and back in 30 minutes later and got no notifications.  While I was gone, I got four notifications but there must have been quite a lag in recording as nothing was moving in view of the camera.  

I was told there is no way to connect just one camera to my NetGear WiFi range extender (WN3000RPv3) which is less than 10 feet from that camera.  Again, I was told the only option would be to move the router/base station to a more central location in the house (causing much rewiring to have to be done) or connect the base station to the extender, which reduces the signal according to Arlo Support, and also now places two other outdoor cameras at the maximum distance from the base station.

Can anyone offer an idea on how to connect only the one camera through the extender to ensure timely and accurate detection?  That is, after all, our front door/driveway.

Responses very much appreciated.

Nate

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm not sure what support was referring to about using an extender but reducing the signal. That makes no sense.

The cameras ONLY connect to a base. There's currently no way around it. Centrally locating the base, whether by a long Ethernet cable or by using a WiFi extender is the usual suggestion. However, one size doesn't fit all situations. A second base could be added to accomplish the same thing by allowing the cameras to be connected to an appropriate base, signal-wise. While the Pro base supposedly will eventually be made available separately, right now your best option could be to buy a one camera system to easily get the base. If that would be too many cameras for you, return the first system (if still within the store's return privilege) and get two systems z that would suit your needs.

The only other thing to do would be to change the location of the camera.

nflyer
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat wrote:

I'm not sure what support was referring to about using an extender but reducing the signal. That makes no sense.

The cameras ONLY connect to a base. There's currently no way around it. Centrally locating the base, whether by a long Ethernet cable or by using a WiFi extender is the usual suggestion. However, one size doesn't fit all situations. A second base could be added to accomplish the same thing by allowing the cameras to be connected to an appropriate base, signal-wise. While the Pro base supposedly will eventually be made available separately, right now your best option could be to buy a one camera system to easily get the base. If that would be too many cameras for you, return the first system (if still within the store's return privilege) and get two systems z that would suit your needs.

The only other thing to do would be to change the location of the camera.

Thanks JG...

I, briefly, thought about buying another single camera/base station, but that just seems ridiculous in a small ranch house.  My problem is the CBS (concrete block stucco) construction.  Seems building a hurricane proof house limits wifi signals through thick walls, of which I'm going through two between the base and camera.  

I'm working a couple of DIY ideas trying to solve this problem.  If one or more work, I'll follow up for other users that might be having similar issues.  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As mentioned, the Arlo cameras ONLY sync and link to a base unit...

And, the only real way to expand the coverage area is by using a second or more base units ( and link the local cameras to each base )

As to your DIY plans, feel free to share and help others...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------