Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Poor function on motion sensor / slow recording start when triggered.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
sigge_1
Follower
Follower

I have problems with the motion sensors. I have one cam mounted on my driveway up to my house and one mounted in same direction on my entrance. 

When a car come driving up my driveway, the motion sensor reacts but it is too slow/ or the camera startup is too slow so the car can pass without being filmed. 

I have solved it so the 1:st camera on the driveway trigger a recording on the entrance camera and in this way i can see what happens. 

I dont see why i have to make this workaround, is Arlo sensors this poor or is it the startup from standby that is the problem. If yes, why dont you make a firmware where you can choose between current state of standby and a more "active" standby where the cam starts more quick and the cam consumes more battery ( that would be ok for me, i use rechargeble batteries anyway). 

I have motion detaction set to 100% sensitivity

Please see drawing attached. The white arrows point at the cam locations. 

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Arlo cameras do have and have had a slower start up time... but also the sensor really is only effective to 20ft ( on original, 25ft on pro/pro2 )

But what your doing is a solution for a long driveway

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
TheWatcher24
Apprentice
Apprentice
the short answer is , yes, the "legacy" arlo cameras motion sensors are very poor and very slow rendering them virtually useless for actual motion detection for serious security and safety needs.
Your end around is the same as mine, I use the 1st camera to set off recording on the second camera.
You cannot rely on these cameras alone to detect a threat or notify you of the presence of anyone or anything.
I've asked repeatedly for a fix , a motion sensor you can pair with each camera , instead , they now call these "legacy" cameras , and their R&D seem to have moved on from them.
I love their picture quality during the day , but they dont detect motion when needed. A branch in the corner of the field of view , yes.
A person walking past at 2 am , scaling my fence , no.
Just an empty video of where he was.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TomMac wrote:

But what you're doing is a solution for a long driveway

I agree.

FWIW, the cameras also are designed to be most sensitive for side-to-side motion.  But your cameras are already set up to take advantage of that.

If you had a pro-2 or ultra, then powering the camera with AC would help.  But not with the older cameras (and getting power to yours doesn't look very practical).

It would be good if they had a stand-alone motion detector, as that would be less expensive than deploying a second camera.

TheWatcher24
Apprentice
Apprentice
Arlo cameras have the ability to trigger recording across all the cameras paired to the base station, knowing how poor the motion detection is with these cameras, a motion sensor should be an easy fix , I would use an IR motion sensor similar to those used with trail cams , they dont rely on the very limited range of pir motion sensors that arlo use, you can walk straight at them and they detect thru body heat and motion not just motion coming across the field of view. A $20.00 battery powered motion sensor that can trigger a camera would be the easiest fix and would obviously greatly improve arlo, no longer limiting where you must place cameras to hope to catch motion.