Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Picture turns red

John
Guide
Guide
Hello,

Has anyone experienced this issue. On several cameras, at one point, when the night vision turned on, instead of a B/W picture the picture was red. When I took out the batteries and reinserted the problem fixed itself. Now on one of the outdoor cameras the picture is once again red?
326 REPLIES 326
Chas_K
Guide
Guide
JGC2000, I guess I am lucky, I first contacted support on thr 7th, it took three more business days for them to offer a resolution on Tuesday the 12th. The unfortunate thing is that the resolution will costs me money to return the defective unit. That issue is serious irritation since my camera became defective only 2 days after initial set-up.
JGC2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

Chas_K,

How long have you actually had the cameras? If its less than 30 days I'd return it to the actual store and get a new one that way.

And they want you to send it back at your own cost? That is a joke? They don't just send a replacement camera and you send back the defective unit?

Chas_K
Guide
Guide
JGC2000, I was overly impressed with the system and in my exuberance disposed of the packaging so I was stuck with using their warranty process. I agree with the level of failure they must streamline the process and remove the burden of additional expense from the consumer.
Chas_K
Guide
Guide
Oh and no you hsve to pay a premium to have them send the replacement camera before they receive the defective unit.
JGC2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

Chas_K,

It's definitely poor customer service on their part. My dad has a dropcam pro that became unable to connect to the wifi after he owned it for 2 or 3 years.  I tried to troubleshoot it for him and then called dropcam/nest customer support. I spent 20 minutes on the phone with them and they agreed that it was dead. Then to my surprise they said they would be sending a replacement camera for it.  They didn't ask for a receipt or anything and it was of course way out of warranty. In spite of that he had a refurbished dropcam pro show up on his doorstep 2 days later. All he had to do was put the old one back in the box and put the included shipping label on it and send it back.  It didn't cost him a penny in the whole deal.

If only Dropcam had an outdoor camera I would absolutely buy it instead of the Arlo purely based on the customer service difference.

JGC2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

What's the "premium" they want you to pay?

Kylebam94
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same red camera view problem but my arlo has a red halo around the picture even after I cycle power to it
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kylebam94,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to resolve this issue. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC
CDP
Initiate
Initiate

I am having the same issue where the picture has a red tinge?

Kylebam94
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes a red faded ring around the picture
GCossey
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have one camera, out of 4 cameras, that started having red video today. Had my cameras for a couple of months now.  I opened the camera battery compartment and then closed it, to restart the camera, but no change.

Any solution yet to fix this issue?

JGC2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

Try taking the batteries out for 5 minutes and then putting them back in. That reset mine to a normal picture during the day but if I left the night vision option on the picture would be red again the next morning. While I'm waiting for my case to be resolved through the support system(started on the 1/7/16 and still waiting btw) I have turned the night vision off. The videos are pretty bad at night unless something is really close but at least during the day the picture is normal and I don't have to reset the camera everyday. 

Roosevelt999
Aspirant
Aspirant

Am having exactly the same issue. Unfortunately, I can't even find the support phone number to call them. Love these cameras but their support system leaves much to be des0ired. Tried everything...anyone know their phone number. We need another camera fast as we have had two thefts in the last 2 months.

Thanks

mbelway@gmail.com

Chas_K
Guide
Guide
Roosevelt, afaik all of their communication is web/email based. The process is not at all fast, you will need to provide them with images of the failed camera, proof of purchase and an image of the s/n inside the battery compartment.
Kylebam94
Aspirant
Aspirant
My red picture seems to be temperature related. Let the camera warm up in the house and my red picture goes away. Just have to see how long it will last
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Chas_K wrote:
Roosevelt, afaik all of their communication is web/email based.

Check the Support link at the top of these pages.  In that page you'll find a variety of ways to contact support.

Simosea20
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem, taken batteries out of the camera same problem remains. I wait your response.

GCossey
Aspirant
Aspirant

I took out the batteries and put them back in, no change.

I took out the batteries and waited 10min and put them back in.  Camera was OK for about 2 hrs before the video turned red again.

Waiting to see if my other three cameras start doing the same thing and if this is a failure that all cameras will have.

JGC2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

GCossey,

My only suggestion is to turn off the night vision option after you take the batteries out for 5 minutes to reset the camera. I don't know what the real problem is but that has worked for me while I'm waiting on Netgear/Arlo to give me an answer on how they are going to remedy the problem. It is definitely not a permanent solution but while I wait its the best I've got.

If they don't figure it out soon I'm just going to get a Nest/Dropcam imitation type camera off Amazon and use that. Some are cheap enough that if they die because I have placed them outside its not a big deal. I can get four of them for the price of one Arlo.

JGC2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well my temporary fix appears to have stopped working. Back to the pink picture until replacement occurs.

Just as an FYI for everyone having this issue it took 10 days from the first time I contacted online support until I finally got a Return/Replacement Authorization. Also you have options how to exchange your defective camera. 

The first is to ship your defective camera to them at your cost and they will then send a replacement to you. So this costs you 6 or 7 dollars, a trip to UPS/Post Office, and you are without a camera during this whole time period.

The second is to pay $16.90 and they will send you a replacement camera and a return label for your defective camera. This way basically costs you $10 to avoid being without a camera for what my guess would be a week or more.

The third is to pay $22.90 for overnight shipping of the replacement.

So those are the options you will eventually have once you get through the support system which seems like a top secret process that nobody on here has posted. I chose the 16.90 option since I only have one camera and didn't want to go a week or more without a camera. At least this way if something happens I'll still have video even though it's pink. Overall this whole process and the crappy new interface/app update have soured me on Arlo/Netgear. A company that takes 10 days to offer me a resolution for a defective product and then at the minimum I have to pay money to send it back to them is not high on my list of companies to buy products from. I'll have to hope that Nest/Dropcam makes outdoor cameras soon since they were able to execute the replacement of a defective 3 year old Dropcam Pro in 20 minutes over the phone, and a replacement arrived two days later without a single penny being spent by me.

El_Chapulin
Tutor
Tutor

I am having the same issue on my camara. 

JamesC wrote:

Agentmilstein,

I will reach out to you in a private message to help resolve this issue.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

El_Chapulin,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to resolve this issue. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

Pokey021
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just noticed the same issue tonight as well. How do I resolve it?
JGC2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

You can try taking the batteries out for a few minutes and it might temporarily reset, but in the end you need to go through the online support system to get a replacement camera.  

Read back a few pages and you will see some more in depth reset instructions, and how to contact support.

El_Chapulin
Tutor
Tutor

JGC2000 wrote:

You can try taking the batteries out for a few minutes and it might temporarily reset, but in the end you need to go through the online support system to get a replacement camera.  

Read back a few pages and you will see some more in depth reset instructions, and how to contact support.

Thanks JGC2000, I contacted the Support department and I already have a case number. I had to submit copy of prooof of purchase, sample picture from the camera with the pink view, and picture of the serial number of the camera.