Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

paintguy
Star
Star
Is anyone else having a problem with the delay in long it takes motion to detect and the start of recording? I have found that outside the delay is too much to see anyone who is approaching my house. I have looked at videos and the recording shows the very end of someone in my family opening my door if at all. I have played around with the sensitivity also to get it to record earlier. This and the battery issue are the biggest problems so far. Does anyone have ideas how they got theirs to not have so much of a delay?

Thanks
218 REPLIES 218
NoEatGreens
Guide
Guide

Nope.

I walk outside and my phone starts dinging like crazy.

I do have Verizon Fios which is blazing fast, actually when I set it up, we had Comcast, and I believe it was slower then...

100% Sensitivity.

20 second record.

Send Email.

NoEatGreens
Guide
Guide

Nope.

I walk outside and my phone starts dinging like crazy.

100% Sensitivity.

20 second record.

Send Email.

chief71
Aspirant
Aspirant

hey guys,

Just got my Netgear Arlo cams today, and I'm some what satisfied with them.  Image is great, but the ONE big issue I have and which is really tied into the whole point of using them is the lag time.  The motion detection is ok BUT when it does pick it up it can have up to 10sec delay or so.

Come on guys, I'm sure the developers can't think thats good.  At this point its better than nothing, but I have to admit this issue is really dissapointing.  I really really hope the company does well by it's customers and get this issue resolved with a firmware or software update.

Thank you

AnthonyArmato
Luminary
Luminary

ONCE AGAIN. The delay in recording is NOT server based OR based on YOUR internet connection. There is a delay in the camera's software/firmware that causes the delay from when motion is detected till when the recording actually starts.

The delay is the same whether you have a 150Mbps connection, or a 5Mbps connection.

This is not the same as a delay in sending notifications when an alert is triggered. THAT is based on server response time since the alert goes from the camera, to the base station, to the cloud, then to the device(s) that are supposed to be alerted.

Tazman50
Tutor
Tutor
Ok, once again, let's reread what the Netgear ARLO rep said about the delay and and see if we can find a solution that fits the problem.

Here is what he said:
"Please be informed that this is how the ARLO cameras operate since ARLO is a server based system. There is really a delay in recording since every activity of the ARLO system will be forwarded to our back end servers.

The only way we can square what the rep has told us with all the various users accounts, i.e. some have very long delays in recording while others have somewhat shorter delays is for some users to be closer to Netgear backend servers. If you happen to be lucky enough to live just down the street from the Netgear servers then you get a very short delay in recording. That's the way networks work.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I agree that it's not typically a bandwidth issue (I have 1Mb uploads, the minimum required) but propagation delays over the Internet could certainly affect response.  A possible test for this would be to try to use traceroute to the Arlo servers (arlo.netgear.com, hosted by Amazon) at times when problems are occuring to see what delays are encountered. That, of course, wouldn't tell us anything about internal issues, such as server load or Netgear network congestion.  Here's a sample (note that Amazon appears to have turned off responding to pings so the last step(s) aren't known):

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\jguerdat>tracert arlo.netgear.com

Tracing route to ArloProdLB-1815857678.eu-west-1.elb.amazonaws.com [54.77.176.243]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.asus.com [192.168.10.1]
2 39 ms 29 ms 27 ms cpe-24-93-16-1.rochester.res.rr.com [24.93.16.1]
3 27 ms 20 ms 30 ms tge0-0-1.hnrtnyaf01h.northeast.rr.com [24.93.8.150]
4 11 ms 12 ms 10 ms be21.rochnyei02r.northeast.rr.com [24.58.44.42]
5 12 ms 12 ms 13 ms be28.rochnyei01r.northeast.rr.com [24.58.32.74]
6 27 ms 25 ms 28 ms bu-ether45.chcgildt87w-bcr00.tbone.rr.com [107.14.19.106]
7 23 ms 25 ms 23 ms 0.ae4.pr1.chi10.tbone.rr.com [66.109.1.66]
8 26 ms 26 ms 24 ms chi-b21-link.telia.net [213.248.76.97]
9 39 ms 37 ms 58 ms nyk-bb1-link.telia.net [80.91.246.167]
10 120 ms 114 ms 117 ms ldn-bb3-link.telia.net [80.91.248.202]
11 117 ms 116 ms 115 ms ldn-b1-link.telia.net [62.115.142.231]
12 114 ms 113 ms 114 ms a100-ic-314170-ldn-b1.c.telia.net [213.248.104.222]
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 126 ms 125 ms 125 ms 178.236.0.191
17 124 ms 123 ms 121 ms 178.236.0.198
18 124 ms 121 ms 125 ms 178.236.0.68
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\jguerdat>ping arlo.netgear.com

Pinging ArloProdLB-1815857678.eu-west-1.elb.amazonaws.com [52.16.17.159] with 32 bytes of data ;
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 52.16.17.159:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

rak
Guide
Guide

Yhancy: Base on my experience, I did got a case wherein camera is triggered when a person is almost in the middle of the camera view and not when he comes in the camera view from the side. That was because the area where he comes in is farther than the range of the camera's motion detection range.
Yhancy: Could that also be your case?
me: let me check the distance between the camera and sidewalk. be right back
Yhancy: Okay. Please take your time.
me: looks like about 28 feet
me: not very far
me: the camera is placed to monitor my car which is next to the sidewalk
Yhancy: I see.
Yhancy: Camera's motion detection range is at about 15 to 20 feet away.
Yhancy: You may also refer to  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-place-my-Arlo-camera/ta-p/37
me: really? thats pretty short for outdoor use
me: i have no way to mount it closer to my car which is the main reason i ourchased it
me: I understand, however it is a product limitation. 20 feet away is the maximum detection range of the camera.
Yhancy: Hi it’s been a few minutes, do you still need further assistance? I will end this session if there is no response within the next 3 minutes.
me: so the reason for the delay is that distance?
me: what about the server issue in the thread?
Yhancy: Yes. Your camera detected the motion when the subject is within its detection range. That is also there reason why when you view the recording, the movement captured is when the person already going away from the camera not when he crosses the view of the camera.
Yhancy: Regarding the server issue, it also depends on the Internet connection speed. Most times, depending also on the ISP, there are delays during peak hours.
Yhancy: Hi ,  it’s been a few minutes, do you still have further inquiries?
me: sorry
me: well this is disappointing if thats the case
Yhancy: I do apologize if Arlo did not meet your requirement. Arlo team do look into this feature requests.
Yhancy: You may also post it in our community page ideas board at community.arlo.com.

me: i guess i cant use it for my car which is why I purchased it. disappointed. ill let the community know. thank you
Yhancy: Thank you once again for choosing NETGEAR.
Yhancy: Have a great day!
Yhancy has disconnected.

AnthonyArmato
Luminary
Luminary

I don't care what the Arlo rep said. They are incorrect and it's been clearly documented on various threads on this forum. The delay in recording is software/firmware based not server based.

Don't believe me ? Go buy a wired cloud camera and compare.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That could be an apples and oranges comparison depending on a lot of things, firmware being just one of them. I do tend to believe that it's some sort of camera issue but don't forget that various people have various results. I have a camera that has detected a train going by in the very corner of view, partially blocked by trees, at 75-100 feet. More importantly, I can almost always detect motion with minimal lag at 20-30 feet. My case certainly isn't the only one but does show that various circumstances can have a deleterious effect. One size can't fit all and that's certainly the case here.

I do hope development continues, hopefully quickly.

chief71
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree with jguerdat.  you can't compare 2 diiferent cameras just cause one is wired and one isn't.  Lets just hope the developers update the firmware and or software.  At the end of the day its better than nothing but it is a HUGE limitation for what most are using it for, and I think the developers know that.

thanks

CloudHopper
Apprentice
Apprentice

Does the Arlo base station connect to the same Amazon servers as arlo.netgear.com or somewhere else?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Someone would need to use a network sniffer to determine that.  It _appears_ to be using the Amazon servers for all access but I can't prove it.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Amazon ?  WOW.  I'm doing a Wireshark trace when I get home this evening......

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Note my traceroute/ping post above. The Arlo.netgear.com address resolves to amazonaws.com. It also shows eu-west - is it really going to Europe? I'm not familiar with Telia but isn't that a British company?

CloudHopper
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat, that IP address 54.77.176.243 is the Amazon data centre in Dublin, Ireland. When I go to arlo.netgear.com I am also getting routed to the same location.

Telia is a Swedish telecoms company, but according to their site, they have operations all around Europe.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:

Note my traceroute/ping post above. The Arlo.netgear.com address resolves to amazonaws.com. It also shows eu-west - is it really going to Europe? I'm not familiar with Telia but isn't that a British company?

That is an INSANE amount of hops that "should" be going to a RDC in the US.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yup, thats prolly' one of the reasons why we get recording delay.. Who knows am prolly' connected to one of amazon's remote server in Nigeria right now.. LOL

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

JCWalsh wrote:

Hello! I was having the same problem and it resolved for me when I changed some settings in the rules section. Under the camera I was having the delay with - I changed the setting for that camera to "more videos" all the way to the far right on the scale. I also changed the video recording length to 30 seconds. Now, not only does it not have the delay but the motion sensor kicks in when the person is before the frame of the camera. I see them arrive instead of seconds after that.  I hope this works! - Jessica

Hi JCWalsh,

What do you mean by "more videos" ? I don't see such an option........ Did you mean "more sensitive" ?

Thank you !

Paul FCCL

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Paul_FCCL,

The setting JCWalsh was referring to as "More/Less videos" is old verbiage. That same setting now is described as "More/Less Sensitive".

JamesC

chief71
Aspirant
Aspirant

thank you, you took the question right out of my mouth.  I have no "more videos" but do have "more sensitive".

Thanks

erikjfortin
Aspirant
Aspirant

i dont see an option for "more videos" as you stated in your post. Could you tell me where to find that setting.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

erikjfortin,

There is no longer an option for more/less videos. The "more/less videos" option was replaced with the "more/less sensitive" slider located in the rules. It is the same feature the verbiage was just updated to sensitivity instead of videos to better define what the feature does.

JamesC

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Thank you.......I thought that might be the case.

lsiders
Star
Star

I just purchased my Arlo system and am experiencing this same delay in recording movement.  All sensitivity is set at 100% and still has a delay.  I've tested several times by walking in front of the camera, but the only part that is recording is the very end of my test, which as many people agree, defeats the purpose.  This is a HUGE issue.... Did I make a mistake in my purchase of this system?  I can't see keeping it if it won't capture what is needed when it is needed.  Please tell me this will be corrected soon.  Frustrated!

KristynM
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello @lsiders,

The position of your cameras could also be a factor to the motion sensitivity issue you are experiencing. The best position for your camera is 7 to 10 feet up from the floor with a downward tilt. Having your camera tilted downward will help detect moving objects.

To best assist you in finding the right setting for your camera's sensitivity, Arlo's app has a built-in tool called Motion Detection Test. To access this tool, simply go to Settings > Camera Settings > "Your camera name" > Adjust Settings > Motion Detection Test.

For more information on Motion Detection Test, check out the article My Arlo camera is not detecting motion

Regards,
KristynM
Arlo Support Team