Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

paintguy
Star
Star
Is anyone else having a problem with the delay in long it takes motion to detect and the start of recording? I have found that outside the delay is too much to see anyone who is approaching my house. I have looked at videos and the recording shows the very end of someone in my family opening my door if at all. I have played around with the sensitivity also to get it to record earlier. This and the battery issue are the biggest problems so far. Does anyone have ideas how they got theirs to not have so much of a delay?

Thanks
218 REPLIES 218
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy
I believe the newest home base update is 1.6.2._4344 and as to my knowledge the cameras most recent update is 1.2.2688.
It's the home base one I just noticed was done on/around Dec.1/15.
Thanks.

Paul FCCL
yasserezz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here is a delay on mine... this delay making me crazy.... I really need a fix for this asap... 

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/697BD0B5A56DB125

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Yup, that is HORRIBLE......

I get the same results ....

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

yasserezz,

By design the Arlo cameras when not in use, conserve power by remaining in an energy-saving mode which results in a slight delay for the cameras to wake up. Take a look at the following article for tips on best performance practices: Optimizing motion detection performance on Arlo Wire-Free cameras​

JamesC

Elljay
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am consistently getting a beautiful view of the back of people coming to my house. If one of them is a burglar, I sure hope the police do lineups showing the backs of their heads, because I just can't get the cameras to film their faces, despite a slow 20 foot walk up my steep driveway.
scjessey
Guide
Guide

Lots of people experience the same thing. The problem is that the cameras prefer sideways motion to trigger the sensor, but the user prefers toward-the-camera motion to get something usable for identifying faces. The way around this is to use the motion sensor of a sideways-facing camera to trigger the recording of a straight-facing camera, but the delay between detection and recording (which is essentially doubled when using this method) still means the straight-facing camera may not start recording until as much as 4 seconds after initial detection. For people with short walk-ups (mine is only 6 feet), they are never going to get a recognizable face in their recordings and it is incredibly frustrating.

What I would love to see is for Netgear to sell discrete battery-operated motion sensors with no cameras that can be placed strategically to trigger the recording of cameras. For example, if I could screw a discrete sensor to the tree in front of my house it would do a better job of triggering a usable recording. I can't put a camera there because it would be easy for someone to steal.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

scjessey wrote:

Lots of people experience the same thing. The problem is that the cameras prefer sideways motion to trigger the sensor, but the user prefers toward-the-camera motion to get something usable for identifying faces. The way around this is to use the motion sensor of a sideways-facing camera to trigger the recording of a straight-facing camera, but the delay between detection and recording (which is essentially doubled when using this method) still means the straight-facing camera may not start recording until as much as 4 seconds after initial detection. For people with short walk-ups (mine is only 6 feet), they are never going to get a recognizable face in their recordings and it is incredibly frustrating.

What I would love to see is for Netgear to sell discrete battery-operated motion sensors with no cameras that can be placed strategically to trigger the recording of cameras. For example, if I could screw a discrete sensor to the tree in front of my house it would do a better job of triggering a usable recording. I can't put a camera there because it would be easy for someone to steal.

Yeah that would be great if they did that!

WernerS
Star
Star

Same problem here, the 2-3 second recording delay misses the only important action. I am monitoring my Back door from a 30-45deg side angle 15ft away. It takes only about 2-3 seconds to sneak in or out. The 80% motion sensing works fine and triggers the recording for evert movement, but the short recording delay really misses the important part and makes the camera basically worthless. Very frustrating! 

Is the camera in sleep mode or completely turned off? Is the latency in power up phase of the camera or the motion sensing? Does anybody know what causes the delay?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suspect no one here knows for sure but I'd wager its startup delay, maybe reconnecting with the base and/or server.

WernerS
Star
Star

My 10 second recordings are 14 seconds long, but the first 4 seconds of the video recording are completly missing. It looks to me the motion dection works fine without any delay, it triggers the start of the recording, but it takes 4 seconds for the camera to be online from off/sleep/power saving mode it is. I think that is a long boot time. I'm just specualting, but it looks to me that the camera itself probably doesn't have any internal memory. It likely records straight to a server and it takes a bit of time to connect. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try rewinding the video back to the start. I've found that can clear video viewing issues.

Martigao
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue...... Somebody find the way to fixed.... thanks

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Martigao,

By design the Arlo cameras when not in use, conserve power by remaining in an energy-saving mode which results in a slight delay for the cameras to wake up. Take a look at the following article for tips on best performance practices: Optimizing motion detection performance on Arlo Wire-Free cameras

JamesC

WernerS
Star
Star

I did almost all the things that are recommended for an optimial installation, exept the cross-recording (don't have an extra camera).

The camera is 7ft high, 15-20 feet distance, almost 90 deg viewing angle, brand new batteries, good reception from the base station (about 20 feet away) and its still not working. The odd thing the delay is just in one direction. Exiting from a door to the outside (delay), entering the view from the other side (towords the door from the outside) works just fine (no delay).

What is the difference between the tow scenarios and which affect does it have on the trigger? it can't be noise since opening the door makes noise.

Is there a place where one can post videos so support can see the issue?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can share video by selecting one to view from the library and click on the Share icon at the bottom.  Choose to copy the link and paste it in a message here.

WernerS
Star
Star

Here I'm showing the problem in 3 repeated individual videos: https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/13042FF9C20C3EDE

The process is opening the sliding door and exiting and closing the door and moving away from the door.

Video one: The camera captures only a very short glimse from exiting the door. From opposite side, outdoors to indoors it works fine.

Video two. Exiting the door is completly missed. From outdoors to indoors again no problem.

Video three & four: These two videos are also illustrating the secong problem I'm having with this camera system. First again exiting the door is almost completly missed. The video recording time is set for 25 seconds. The time gap between video 3 & video 4 is 15 seconds which are not recorded at all, although there is much activitiy within the view. It took the camera 15 seconds to retrigger ans start a new video.

It is all very repeatable and conistent.

Any suggestions?

Thanks 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Observations:

Video 1 shows the motion to start in the middle of the FOV. I'd rote that camera to the right so the sliding door is almost all you see at the left edge rather than showing a lot of brick. Edges are more sensitive.

Video 2 doesn't show motion activating the camera when coming from the right. Maybe you meant that the video is only showing the miss of recording when coming back to the house. In any event, motion isn't missed moving from right to left because the right edge picks up the motion quickly while the e it from the door is more or less in the middle.

Videos 3 and 4 may be the result of the same issue - where motion is. That said, there's a lag between motion detection and recording regardless of how well detection is initiated. What you're trying to do is minimize the lag. I'm not sure exactly how the system handles continuing motion as to whether the first video has to complete uploading or not, how much lag is inherent between the two videos, etc. Between the inherent lag starting a video plus whatever happens in between videos would seem to be the key.

I would definitely rotate the camera to the right to maximize detection from the door.

WernerS
Star
Star

I rotated the camera as suggested but nothing really has changed. The camera misses the entire process of opening the sliding door and exiting the door (about 2-3 seconds) in every single video. In fact the camera would not even caputure much of anythig if one would rush out of the door.

Also, for some reason the triggering going inside got worse. In the 2nd the 3rd video going back inside was completly missed by the camera. The action probably fell into the 15 seconds time period the camera needs to retrigger and capture a new video.   

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/F4E948D39CFDC61D

WernerS
Star
Star

I rotated the camera as suggested but nothing really has changed. The camera misses the entire process of opening the sliding door and exiting the door (about 2-3 seconds) in every single video. In fact the camera would not even caputure much of anythig if one would rush out of the door.

Also, for some reason the triggering going inside got worse. In the 2nd the 3rd video going back inside was completly missed by the camera. The action probably fell into the 15 seconds time period the camera needs to retrigger and capture a new video.   

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/F4E948D39CFDC61D

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Those videos look normal to me. You simply won't see what triggered the recording due to the ~2 second lag that's inherent. As for the return trip missing, it could well be the delay in reset. I'd suggest lengthening the recorder time if you think you'll likely need to capture such motion. That's just easier than anything else.

WernerS
Star
Star

I guess it always depends what one expect. To me it does not look normal at all if the most important sequence of an obersavtion is missing. I also have a few NEST WiFi cam's and they don't not behave like this at all. I think it should be fixed.

The preset recording time makes no sense to me. What is the rational behind this strategy? Why can't the camera just record as long as activity is its view?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Powered cameras should have no problem with showing everything. The Arlo Q camera is powered and uses pre-buffering to show a few seconds before motion is detected (and, optionally, continuous streaming). Battery-operated devices don't have that luxury. Same thing with continuous recording during motion - it could wear down batteries quickly and can you just imagine what would be posted here then?

There are solutions or, at least,  workarounds to the limitations of the system. It may not be the system for you but I don't know that you'll find another wireless system that will work any better.

imagine39
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've tried the same thing, but it still misses events.  I know for sure, I missed my oil being delivered, but yet have the receipt in my mailbox.  It seems to catch some events, but is delayed.  I will continue to mess with the camera, but this is frustraiting, and I refuse to buy another camera until this is resolved.

imagine39
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same problem: The recording either misses the event completely or usually catches the end of the event.  Like how does someone pull into my driveway, walk up my pathway and it just catches them from behind walking in my front door.  I've been playing with the settings, angle, batteries, etc and still haven't figured this problem out.  It's very frustrating, and I refuse to buy anymore camera until this is resolved.  I do love that I get notifed almost instantly on my phone once motion is detected, it's just unfortunate it's delayed in picking up on the motion or inititating the recording.

Netgear should reply to this issue. 

scjessey
Guide
Guide

I fear you're not going to get a lot of joy on this issue. The are two things preventing this:

1. To save the battery, the camera sits in a kind of "standby mode" and it takes a second or two (or somethings longer, it seems) to wake up.
  2. The camera needs to communicate with the base station, which in turn has to communicate with the servers through the internet to initiate recording.

With these things happening, even the most optimized setup is always going to give a lag of 2 or more seconds. It's a frustrating problem that really should've been made clear before purchase, in my opinion.