Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Outdoor Camera Mounting

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
dave3210
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mounting several cameras outdoors.  Specs state <300' "Line of Sight".  Will they work properly when mounted on opposite sides of a home or small building?

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

dave3210 wrote:

Mounting several cameras outdoors.  Specs state <300' "Line of Sight".  Will they work properly when mounted on opposite sides of a home or small building?

if you read the info ...300 is the max distance just like any other wifi.  Distanace at max is usu line of sight or best conditions.

Building materials and things that the signal must pass thru can degrade the signal and lower the distance.

So the answer is it depends..

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
dave3210
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, but I don't need the theory. I was hoping to
hear from someone who has actually used these cameras
In the manner I questioned, and to learn whether or not they function

adequately.  I was asking about using the cameras on the outside of

a typical residential home.  My home is not 300' long,

and is not made of metal.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
No need for the attitude. There's a lot more than simple distance to affect range. Building construction, number of walls and ceilings, mirrors, wiring, ductwork, etc., etc. all get in there, just as with any other wireless installation. 300 feet would be in a perfect world with absolutely no interference or blockage. Yes, the system may well work with the separation you suggest but only testing would tell. Placing the base in the middle of the house would be the best solution, at least to start.