Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Out of sync thumb nails and failure to record?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Fubie
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have two questions brought up in my post below.  First, why are images from another time being assigned to video clips?  Secind how often are captured video clips being dropped serve side?

At first this was going to be a post about a thumbnail that didn't match the motion video clip.  See the two images below.

chrome_2016-08-17_06-34-08.jpgchrome_2016-08-17_06-34-25.jpg

The image on the left appears at the thumbnail and first image shown before the video is played and the image on the right is from the beginning of the video clip.  I knew something was off when I first glanced at the tumb nail and noticed full sunlight but this video was taken at 6:30 A.M. this morning (8/17).  So the first issue is why are my motion clips being assigned a different times thumbnail?  The guy in the frame is a UPS driver (noticed the striking brown suit and large brown delivery vehicle) and had actually delivered a package yesterday (8/16 around 12:20-12:22 P.M.) verified by UPS My Choice.  This indicates that the video is being altered once it is received at the server.  It looks like Netgear hasn't "fixed" the thumbnail issue.

Naturally I looked at all of my recordings during the time frame the driver was on site and found that of the two cameras that should have recorded the driver walking up to my porch and then around the side door to drop off the box neither was recorded.  Only my driveway camera caught the the delivery van driving off at the proper time.

chrome_2016-08-17_06-57-00.jpg

So this raises my next question.  I am certain the driver was in view of each camera to set off motion detection and recording of my two porch cameras but neither shows a recording?  I actually guess they did record and transmit but something is happening server/cloud side where the video was borked and dropped.  This makes me wonder how often this is happening.  Why can't we, the users have access to a log or diagnostics page on our Arlo units showing the number of videos taken and transmitted to compare to the number show on the website?  Better than that we need to have a local recording option via USB attached storage device to allow us to have recording when our Internet connections are down.

Thanks.

Randy

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Fubie,

Are you seeing this behavior with more than one camera or is it just the camera that you mention above?

Is this intermittent or are you seeing this with every recording? If you take a manual recording, is the correct thumbnail and time displayed?

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your second scene (car in driveway) seems to be a bit far for detection of a person - what distance would it be for the path the UPS guy took?

Fubie
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC,

This is the first time that I have noticed this issue.  But with the wide reporting of Arlo video from test systems and other users being seen on other users accounts I figure this might have happened before but I never noticed it.  I work in the surveillance integration, service, installatino and support field and don't watch my cameras regularly unless I know there is something I need to see.  Finding this was a pure fluke.

Fubie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Jduerdat,

The driveway shot was after the UPS truck was driving away.  Below is a simple diagram of my camera layout and where the UPS truck usually stops near the front of my house and the typical path the UPS driver takes dropping packages off at the side of my house.  From my first post the incorrect thumbnail was an image from cam #3 with no associated video.  Somehow the driver walked from the truck directly at cam #3, turned on my porch in direct view of cam #2 and #3 and then down my side porch directly at cam #4 and then reversed walking the same path back to the truck.  All of this without a single motion video being captured.  The only reason I caught it was the thumbnail.  And that thumbnail means video was uploaded to Arlo servers...

chrome_2016-08-24_07-07-48.png

Randy