Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Original Arlo's base station froze/crashed?

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
ant
Mentor
Mentor

Hello.

Weird. Tonight, I noticed the three years old original Netgear Arlo's base station light only had one green light on. It was its power. Internet and camera had no lights.

I logged into https://arlo.netgear.com with my web browser and noticed its cameras didn't show their icons battery, wireless, etc. I tried to reboot it remotely, but it didn't do anything. So, I had to manually use its power button to reboot it. That worked.

What happened? Did it crash? I never had that happened before. I wonder if it is because of the new Netgear Arlo Pro 2 caused this since it is almost two weeks old since its setup. It can't be heat since the weather is cold and not hot in its room.

Thank you in advance. 🙂

13 REPLIES 13
brh
Master
Master

@ant

It is possible there was an attempt for a firmware update last night, but Arlo has not released any firmware notices yet. If they did send one last night, when JamesC logs in today, he will probably tell us. Another user JehovasFitness also experienced the same behavior.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Also, any chance of even a brief power outage? There are reconnection problems that sometimes are caused by this.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

@jguerdatwrote:

Also, any chance of even a brief power outage? There are reconnection problems that sometimes are caused by this.

No power outages as detected by my computers and UPSes.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

wrote:

@ant

It is possible there was an attempt for a firmware update last night, but Arlo has not released any firmware notices yet. If they did send one last night, when JamesC logs in today, he will probably tell us. Another user JehovasFitness also experienced the same behavior.

Brian

Hmm, was my base station updated? Here is what I see about it:

HW Version: VMB3010r2
Firmware: 1.9.8.0_16666

brh
Master
Master

@ant

My base is on the same firmware version, but I don't know when it was installed. 

Actually, when I just looked in the Release Notes, I noticed that that firmware version was installed towards the end of January, so I guess there was no firmware update last night. Therefore I can't explain what happened to your system and a couple ot other people's systems.

Brian

ant
Mentor
Mentor

wrote:

@ant

My base is on the same firmware version, but I don't know when it was installed. 

Actually, when I just looked in the Release Notes, I noticed that that firmware version was installed towards the end of January, so I guess there was no firmware update last night. Therefore I can't explain what happened to your system and a couple ot other people's systems.

Brian

Thanks Brian. Do you have the URLs to those threads? I wonder if there is a bug in this firmware. Hmm!

brh
Master
Master

@ant

On the home page go down till you see Release Notes and check them out.

Brian

ant
Mentor
Mentor

wrote:

@ant

On the home page go down till you see Release Notes and check them out.

Brian

Oops. I forgot to crop out the firmware parts in my quote. I meant the two users with the issues I am having.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

I just noticed the three weeks old Arlo Pro 2's base station also had no middle light. I was able to reboot it remotely unlike the original base station as mentioned in my original post. Both cable Internet and Netgear R6300 v1 (with its (lat/new)est stock firmware) router were fine. What's going on? 😞

Also, no new incidents with the original Arlo's base station.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Huh. If the Internet LED was out, that indicates no network connection at all. How were you able to reboot it remotely? How did you know it waas not lit?

ant
Mentor
Mentor

@jguerdatwrote:

Huh. If the Internet LED was out, that indicates no network connection at all. How were you able to reboot it remotely? How did you know it waas not lit?

I was looking at the base stations in person. I used the computer's web browser to reboot the base stations online via/through https://arlo.netgear.com.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Still don't get how you accessed the base to reboot if the network connection was truly dead. Maybe the base has a driver issue for the LED?

ant
Mentor
Mentor

@jguerdatwrote:

Still don't get how you accessed the base to reboot if the network connection was truly dead. Maybe the base has a driver issue for the LED?

I don't think network is dead. I think there's a bug or something in the base stations? We'll see if the issue returns in one of the base stations later on. I am not alone according to the earlier posts.