Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ant
Mentor
Mentor

Randomly, lots of motion detections even if lowered its sensitive settings to 1 during day and night. At night, it doesn't even show night vision anymore. I tried toggling the camera and features off and on. I tried rebooting the base station twice. I might need to physically remove its 88% CR123 batteries tomorrow if the issues continue soon. I wished there was a way to reboot cameras remotely like I can do with the base stations. 😞 Maybe they're just very old from early 2015?

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. 🙂

15 REPLIES 15
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Only the new cameras can be remotely rebooted and even then it's only when they're connected to your WiFi, not a base or hub.

Are you setting motion sensitivity in your modes and rules? The motion test is just a test and doesn't save.

https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

Night vision is a different issue. Have you checked your camera settings to ensure Night Vision is enabled? Try toggling the setting to see if that helps. Bring a camera into a dark room and trigger a recording - do you see the dull red LEDs light up on the camera?

ant
Mentor
Mentor

It looks like the problematic camera has water inside after removing its four CR123 batteries. Even after drying inside and its batteries, it still acts weird. I think it's water damaged?

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Trying brand new 100% batteries, and removing and resynching camera to its base station didn't fix the issues. It looks like I'll need to retire it and get a new camera. 😞 https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/Arlo-SmartHub-and-Base-Station-Compatibility says I can connect an Arlo Pro camera with the old VMB3000 base station. I wonder if it is worth taking apart the broken camera to see what's wrong even though I'm not a hardware guy.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ant wrote:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/Arlo-SmartHub-and-Base-Station-Compatibility says I can connect an Arlo Pro camera with the old VMB3000 base station. 

Yes, though you won't find a new one - they stopped manufacturing it several years ago.  There are used/refurbished cameras out there.

Often the old Pro / Pro 2 cameras sell at premium prices because they have the free 7-day cloud storage.  You might also compare pricing with current cameras (factoring in the subscription you'd need for cloud storage).  Several models can be connected directly to your home wifi, so you wouldn't need to upgrade the base.

FWIW, I'm personally not a fan of the Essential, I prefer cameras where users can replace the battery.  Though it is less expensive than the Pro 4 and Pro 5s.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Now, the camera picture and video shots are blurry. 😞 Has anyone opened up the original Arlo camera to clean and fix water damages?

Yeah, I looked at eBay for Arlo (Pro 2) cameras. I don't want to pay for required Arlo Secure subscription since that decision was canceled as of 2/16/2023.  Connected to wifi base? How does that work? Can I still use my old Arlo accounts, cameras (original and Pro 2), base stations (original and Pro 2) and not pay for subscriptions? I assume it is still five camera max for legacy Arlo systems. I love Pro 2's rechargeable single block batteries compared to original CR123 batteries.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro 2 cameras need to connect to a base or hub - any version will work. No subscription is needed as long as the total number of older cameras (Pro 2 and older) remains at 5 or less. Nothing needs to change with your account.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

No, I was referring to your "Several models can be connected directly to your home wifi, so you wouldn't need to upgrade the base." comment.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ant wrote:

No, I was referring to your "Several models can be connected directly to your home wifi, so you wouldn't need to upgrade the base." comment.

Not sure what you are asking.  I said some newer models could be connected directly to home wifi.  Today, those cameras are the Pro 3 floodlight, the Pro 4, the Pro 5s,  the video doorbells and the Essential cameras. All need a subscription to get any cloud storage.  But your old cameras would continue to work as they do now (7-day cloud storage w/o a subscription).

If you are just adding one (or maybe two) new cameras, then you can save a little money by going with single-camera subscriptions.  If you are adding 3 or more, then it's cheaper to get the multicamera - in which case you might as well add the legacy cameras to the same subscription plan.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Ah, I'd have to pay for the newer model cameras to use my wifi. I'll stick with the legacy cameras that will don't require subscriptions since I am using the original base stations with their five camera and week cloud limits. FYI, camera shots are clearer but its night vision is still broken. 😞

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Woah! Night vision works now. 😄

ant
Mentor
Mentor

And the camera's motion detections went bonker since 2 AM PDT even at 1% sensitivity. Its night vision still works. No water this time since no rain and sprinklers for a couple weeks. 😞

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Motion sensitivity is set in your modes and rules, not the motion TEST. I believe you know that but need to be sure.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Yes, I am aware of that. I don't use the motion test feature. Camera is still going bonker when it is on. 😞

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suppose the next step would be to remove and reconnect the camera to see if that helps. I know you did that before but that was for night vision which is now apparently working.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Just a follow up. The camera's motion sensor mostly works. Once in a while, it will go bonker so I just turn it off until it calms down. Night vision works good.  I have a camera near by it as  a back up.