Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Original Arlo base station' Internet light was just off (not connected) & needed a power cycle....

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ant
Mentor
Mentor

Hello.

I just noticed the old original Netgear Arlo's base station only had one green light (power). According to the light status pattern, it means base station is NOT connected to the router, but it is. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting its network cable between the base station and router, but that didn't work. So I pressed the base station's power button to reboot it. After booting up, the its Internet light was still not green. Also, its wireless camera was amber/orange (not blinking). So, I tried unplugging and replugging its power cable to power cycle it. Now, both left two lights were on. Now, it works again.

The cameras and base stations were working fine as of 9 AM PDT (almost 2.5 hours hours ago when I noticed it). Also, other cable networked PCs and Arlo Pro 2 were connected and working. What happened? This never happened before. Did anyone else experience this before? Did the original Arlo base station crash hard?  Is it dying since it was bought in early 2015?

I hope to get some answers soon. 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ant
Mentor
Mentor

@TomMac wrote:

It may not have been you... sometimes things hapen on the far end.

Have seen it once here a while back, reason also unknown... but like you a power button reboot fixed it.

But power button didn't fix it for me. I had to physically unplug and replug its power cable to fix it. 😞 This is bad for those are remote too. Thanks God I was at home to notice it. So far, it's working now.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Have seen it once here a while back, reason also unknown... but like you a power button reboot fixed it.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
ant
Mentor
Mentor

@TomMac wrote:

But power button didn't fix it for me. I had to physically unplug and replug its power cable to fix it. 😞 This is bad for those are remote too. Thanks God I was at home to notice it. So far, it's working now.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Again, I just noticed my original (early 2015) Arlo's base station's Internet and Camera lights are off while its green power is on. Both Internet and cameras are not connected. Its last recording seems to be several hours ago.

Again, I pressed the base station's power button on its rear. I saw its amber power light for its boot up to green. Everything came back online after a minute or so.

What's going on? Is this base station dying? Are there logs or anything to view remotely? This is starting to get annoying too. 😞 At least, I didn't have to power cycle it like last time.

FYI from https://arlo.netgear.com/#/settings/device/489[deleted]/info web page:

HW Version VMB3010r2

Serial Number 489[deleted]

Firmware 1.12.0.0_27099

Do I need to buy a new base station (Pro 2?) for my the old five original Arlo cameras? The Arlo Pro 2's base station kept going, but then it was bought and set up in the beginning of 2018 so it's not old.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suspect the base is having an issue like you said. If you try a new base, be sure you have return privileges in case that doesn't fix the problem.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

@jguerdat wrote:

I suspect the base is having an issue like you said. If you try a new base, be sure you have return privileges in case that doesn't fix the problem.

OK, I'll try that if it gets worse. So, buying an Arlo Pro base station will still work with the old original cameras, right?

I wonder who else had this problem too.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

All Arlo wireless cameras work with all bases.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

@jguerdat wrote:

All Arlo wireless cameras work with all bases.

Thanks. I wonder if I can buy another original base station as new for cheap. Or maybe I will get a Pro so I can have local external USB drive backups like Pro 2's base station does.

Does anyone know where to buy a brand new base station ONLY for cheap just in case I need to do that? I don't need new cameras.