Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

One Touch Recording Option

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
laythe
Star
Star

Hi,

I have setup my arlo camera system due to a current ongoing threat. What I would like is to be able to, in addition to the existing controls,  be able to touch a button and have all cameras record a predefined length of video.

I have strung something together using stringify that works on the wifes phone but not on mine (android go - app not supported), so I dont have any options.

Is there something within Arlo that can do this by default, it would seem like an obvious feature to have such a panic-record button. (although may cost some server)?

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nothing that's built-in. The closest you could come would be to have cross-recording rules for a mode since these are designed for motion-detected recording:

cam1 detects, cam1 records

cam1 detects, cam2 records

cam1 detects, cam3 records

cam1 detects, cam4 records

cam2 detects, cam1 records

cam2 detects, cam2 records

cam2 detects, cam3 records

cam2 detects, cam4 records

cam3 detects, cam1 records

cam3 detects, cam2 records

cam3 detects, cam3 records

cam3 detects, cam4 records

cam4 detects, cam1 records

cam4 detects, cam2 records

cam4 detects, cam3 records

cam4 detects, cam4 records

laythe
Star
Star

Hi,

Thanks for a quick answer. But you forgot the last step....

- dance in front of a camera to trigger recording.

The problem is that in an emergency I may not be at a camera (eg for outside cams). And your solution assumes I have 100% coverage via motion detection (which I dont).

Picture the scenario.

- Bang.

- Burgulars inside and didnt trigger outside cameras (I didnt have enough cameras to cover whole house, so only got a couple for inside, couple for the outside).

- Me sitting in my bed, need a button to tell Arlo to record all.

This function must be easy to implement for a company like netgear (the function already exists), so it must be more of a policy decision? Or is there a technical reason?

Thanks in advance

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It may be that the Pro camera series might have been more useful to you because they can incorporate audio detection as well as to be AC-powered so you could subscribe to CVR for constant recording (without alerts so you'd still need to use detection schemes).

In any event, I'd guess it's an interface design decision. Others have requested a snooze function as well as widgets to arm/disam cameras. Your thoughts would be best suggested in the Idea Exchange section here for more visibility. 

laythe
Star
Star

Appreciate the answer.

Because the cameras are designed to regularily detect motion, transmit and record video, both by motion detection and on-demand (via the Live view), it is clear that the function already exists in the system that I paid for. It is artifically limited via the Arlo interface to one camera.

I will need evidence for a court of law, and that is the purpose of purchasing the cameras. To not have this function, due to an "Interface Design Issue", seems negligent beyond belief. The fact that the motion detection is limited to camera direction (and Arlo make no provision for external motion sensors), and given that the cameras recording doesnt trigger quickly enough in all cases, mean that there are huge holes, not in the system (technically), but in the way Arlo restrict my usage.

I am outing my thoughts, and may be entirely wrong. Its frustrating because I know the system can do it. But to not have a record-all on demand, when you do have a record one camera on demand, seems like a policy decision designed to steer people to CVR and/or reduce server usage, whilst taking away from the customer.

It would seem more genuine to say "Well it costs to run the servers, so we have to look at ways to limit the cost, so we can reduce the system cost". I can swallow that.

Or is it a technical reason? I can swallow that, as long as its explained. 

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but it is the Arlo community after all, so if you guys don't know then I guess us customers are left regreting, wanting, and in the dark.

Thanks in advance