Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
I ordered two new cameras that arrived today, and they seem to be running off an older firmware than my other 5 cameras I've had for a couple weeks (1.2.4941). One of these new cameras is particularly buggy and the battery ran down fast from 100 to about 50 in a few hours. Is there a way to trigger the firmware update?

The original 5 cameras on the 1.2.4941 firmware are running perfectly, so I'm attributing the bugs to the 1.2.2688 firmware. Is this the likely problem?
3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It could be the cause...

The only way to "force" a SW update of the camera is to basicly reset it.

Open the battery door for a short time, reclose.  The cams should auto -resync if close enough.

After they are working again, reboot the base via the power button ( takes up to a couple mins to reboot )

Wait....

The updates are usu sent out in the wee hours of morning during house keeping from the servers.

Check the next day and it should have worked

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW (not much), I have one camera on that firmware because it's configured using an R7000 router with old firmware.  Updating the camera by switching it to a current base station allows the firmware to update but moving it back to the router downgrades the firmware again.  I haven't noticed any particular problem with the camera using that firmware but then I haven't used it on a base with the newest firmware so maybe that's an issue.

As Tom said, resetting the camera using the battery door is the easiest thing to try and wait overnight for an update.  Failing that, you can try removing the camera from the system using Settings, My Devices and then resync it.  Who knows - that might cause the update to occur.

MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks, TomMac.

This morning the red exclamation point showed up on the camera app (when I logged in from the office). I clicked on the firmware update, then a while later reset the the base station and turned on/off the cameras remotely from the app when the firmware update exclamation point didn't immediately go away. While the version number of the old firmware was still showing up there, some of the new features of the updated firmware (eg, camera on/off) were there that didn't seem to be on the older version of firmware. In any regard, I'm guessing there may be a lag between when the new firmware is actually installed on the camera and when the app communicates or shows that it was added.

Also, my camera battery that appeared to run down 50% is now showing all bars, so I think that battery drain was just a mirage induced by the old buggy firmware.

In any regards, thanks for the advice. It may be good for others to know that perhaps just clicking the firmware update then ignoring it for a few hours (if it doesn't appear to have updated immediately) could be a good way to deal with the problem. I guess some problems can just go away if you ignore them long enough!