Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
Householdjm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Product does not work with Amazon Echo Show. Any attempt to see a camera (labeled "Driveway" and "Front door") is reported by Alexa as "not supported by that camera".

Unit model: VMS3230

Which is supported according to:

https://www.netgear.com/about/press-releases/2017/ALEXA-SHOW-ME-THE-FRONT-DOOR.aspx
http://www.arlo.com/en-us/landing/amazon-alexa/
https://www.amazon.com/b/?node=13575751011

Arlo skill is enabled and devices were discovered using the Alexa mobile app. Arlo system is functioning outside of Alexa without issue and all firmware is up to date.

After also finding out that this unit doesn't support local storage, in spite of usb slots intended for this function, and then being sold a line about how the processor isn't fast enough to store locally (Uploading footage is more CPU intensive than writing to local storage. Lying to consumers is a great way to be sued), I'm increasingly unimpressed with both this product and netgear. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cshadow02
Initiate
Initiate
Go to your alexa app , smart home , devices and sync your arlo camera there. Make sure the names match between your alexa and arlo apps. This will solve the problem

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
rmazzoni
Aspirant
Aspirant

Exact same issue. Hopefully Amazon and Neatgear will fix soon

manfredz
Hero
Hero

Netgear at no time advertised the non-pro version as supporting a usb local storage drive, si its unfair to accuse them of lying there.

Householdjm
Aspirant
Aspirant

They didn't lie about that. It was about the reasoning behind why they didn't allow local storage on the base model. Local storage isn't really a "feature" for a camera system. It is a basic necessity. Uploading to the cloud is the "feature". Having a system rendered useless because of a dropped internet connection is silly. Anyhow, that isn't the primary purpose of this thread. 

LBK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just received the Echo Show, everything is installed, latest firmware, and both Arlo and Echo Show are active, but when I tried to Enable Arlo Skill in Alexa App, no luck!   Able to get to point of Sign In during Enable, but when selection "Accept", it just returns to the Sign In area again.  Tried several times, keeps returning, but just not allowing setup after Accept...

Any suggestions from other Echo Show users with Arlo Wire-Free or NetGear, or others?

Noriega360
Tutor
Tutor
Yup experiencing the same issue... here is my video posted on youtube. I saw anlady having the same issue on youtube...

https://youtu.be/nq0gUkrGQUQ
zoharhod
Initiate
Initiate

Same issue, "Camera - Main Door, Does not support that"

JTelleria
Guide
Guide

I received my Echo Show yesterday.  I enabled the Arlo skill and so far it's been working for me.  I can pull up the feeds any of my 4 Arlo cameras and the Arlo Pro by the front door.   I do wish the Arlo skill for Echo Show would support the speaker of the Arlo Pro.  If I'm in the kitchen and someone rings the doorbell, I'd like to be able to pull up the feed of the Arlo Pro on my Echo Show and have the option of speaking to whoever it is.  Right now it only allows you to view the feed.  I don't see any option to talk.  Could just be the Echo Show API doesn't support it.  Hopefully a feature that can be added in the future.

Rb2204
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same here. So angry!!
cnicholson
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the non-pro base station.  Non-Pro camera works with Alexa, Pro Camera does not.  Hypothesis: Arlo Pro cameras only work with Alexa Show via "Pro" basestation.

JTelleria
Guide
Guide
I have the original non-pro Arlo base station. My non-Pro and Pro cameras are all working with Echo Show.
cnicholson
Aspirant
Aspirant

I reset everything and set Arlo back up.  Now working fine.  I wish the Arlo did a push notification to the Show to wake it up on motion-- either to automatically switch to view the camera with motion or at least to reduce the lag between "Alexa, Show Front Door" and the live feed startting.  Two-way audio woul dbe cool, too.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Householdjm, mazzoni, Noriega360, zoharhod, LBK

Consider rebooting your Arlo base station and try again. Are you still seeing the same behavior?

For more information, take a look here: Arlo Now Works with Alexa

JamesC

BeRad
Initiate
Initiate
I have an Echo show and 4 Arlo cameras (H7?) with firmware 1.2.10342. One of the cameras shows up with no problem (Camera-Backyard) and the others give the "doesn't support that" message. I'm thinking it could be a conflict with the same devices listed through my SmartThings Hub. I'll try rebooting but inconsistent behavior is tough...seems like it *does* work somehow.
cnicholson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Rename the camera with distinctive names and tell Alexa to discover devices.  This will eliminate possibiliy that Alexa is confusing your camera for other devices or commands.

Noriega360
Tutor
Tutor
Ok so today is 10 Jul and I posted in my issue on 28 Jun. I restarted the Arlo Home Base for 30 seconds, disconnected/forgot all cameras and resynced them. Unplugged Echo Show for 30 seconds. After all of this I am still experiencing the same issue. Only 2 out of 5 cameras show up (same cameras that have been showing up). No progress whatsoever with getting the other cameras to show. Still stuck on the same issue.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Noriega360,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Cshadow02
Initiate
Initiate
Go to your alexa app , smart home , devices and sync your arlo camera there. Make sure the names match between your alexa and arlo apps. This will solve the problem