Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Not detecting motion at one location - Arlo

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
tlernst
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have two Arlos outside and one inside. Today I replaced the batteries in one of the outside units and when I checked the operation afterward, I found the camera would not pickup motion unless I was right on top of it. My other outside unit (at another location) is working fine. I replaced the affected outside unit with the one from inside and same results. BTW, the inside unit was working properly before the move. I know about testing the movement by crossing the field of view and not walking right towards it, I'm an Arlo user for several years. As a test, I placed the first unit from outside in a different location (in the same vicinity) and pointed it 90 degrees from the line of sight of its original view and it worked fine. So, what gives? The unit always worked fine in its original position until now. I thought maybe it was the Arizona heat and the camera was having a hard time seeing the difference between me and the outside temperature, but the heat is the same when I relocated the camera (same area, just a few feet away) 90 degrees off the original line and it worked fine. Not sure where to go next.

18 REPLIES 18
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Very strange. Can't think of why that would happen given it's a PIR sensor. Have you tried turning up your motion sensitivity? Tried another battery pull reset? Wipe the PIR sensor area. These might explain if it was consistent but the fact that it works in a different location but not the original location is weird. You might be right about the PIR and background heat and perhaps it's even the clothes you're wearing

tlernst
Apprentice
Apprentice

I cleaned the PIR sensor and the motion sensitivity was 80% and I turned it up to 100% with no different results. I hate to think that the clothes I'm wearing would have anything to do with motion detection, sure wouldn't give me a sense of security that someone else could come around the house wearing clothes that would cause Arlo to not detect motion. As for another battery pull, like I said, another camera (that was working fine at another location) placed in the same position acted the same way.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

It sounds like positioning could be causing the issues you describe. Take a look at this article to be sure your cameras are positioned for best performance: How do I optimize my Arlo Wire-Free camera’s motion detection performance?

JamesC

tlernst
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've been an Arlo user for several years and the unit in question has been at its location for at least 18 months and has always worked fine. I fully understand the positioning requirements and the Arlo is located IAW these rules. I tested the Arlo again last night and early this morning and the unit did detect my motion. 

I understand how the PIR sensor works and I'm wondering if yesterday's ambient air temperature (105 F) masked my body temp and prevented motion detection. Last night and this morning the outside temp was in the low 90's and low 80's and detectiion was noted. If this is the case, is there a recommended operating temperature for Arlo? I would hate to think that I can't rely on Arlo to protect my home in the middle of the day, when I'm away, and the outside temperature is over 100 F.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tlernst,

105°F is within the designed operating temperature for Arlo cameras and should not impact motion detection.

I am glad to hear your camera was able to detect you when you tested. Have you experienced this issue again since you teted?

JamesC

Tocker30
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi I am having the same issue today. Two cameras in front are not doing anything. I've restarted several times changed the modes and sensitivity and nothing is happening. No Motion is being detected. These cameras have been on the same page place for over a year.
tlernst
Apprentice
Apprentice

James C...I stated previously that the camera was seeing motion after the temps came down in the evening and the morning. I did check again today in the heat of the day and again, motion wasn't immediately detected. At the time I was wearing all white (shirt and shorts). I changed into a darker shirt and the camera then detected my motion. Not sure what to make of this, but I'm hoping its doesn't mean someone can come around my place in light colored clothes in the middle of a very hot day and not be detected. Terry

tlernst
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tocker30...when you said you restarted your cameras several times, do you mean you pulled the batteries to initiate the restart? If so, did you also try to reboot the base station? In the past, I had to do this and it corrected the issue I was having at that time. I've tried this with my current situation and unfortunately, it hasn't resolved my problem, but it may help you.  Terry

Ted1958
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have taken all the steps.  After blanking blue, it start blanking red.  It suppose turn green?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No.  What you're seeing is the camera not syncing. Has that camera ever successfully synced? Are you holding the base sync button or only pressing it briefly? If the former, do the latter - don't hold it. Do you have other cameras that synced fine? Are you doing this with the camera close to the base?  Exactly what steps have you tried?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Ted1958 wrote:

I have taken all the steps.  After blanking blue, it start blanking red.  It suppose turn green?

The LED on the front of the camera should blink blue slowly and then blink blue quickly when it syncs. If it blinks ambers after blinking blue, it has failed to sync. For me, this has only occurred due to interference between the camera and the base 

chuckbaylee
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do you rebote the base station ???

steve_t
Master Master
Master

chuckbaylee wrote:

How do you rebote the base station ???

There's a restart function in the app/web interface otherwise you can physically use the button on the back to turn it off and turn it on again

chuckbaylee
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, but that didn't help. I can only get motion detection if I am right on top of the camera and no night detection.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

chuckbaylee wrote:

Thank you, but that didn't help. I can only get motion detection if I am right on top of the camera and no night detection.

What motion sensitivity setting are you using?

chuckbaylee
Aspirant
Aspirant

80 %

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Put them up to 100. Turn it down 1 each time you get a motion detection you don't want within 30 minutes of a previous one

chuckbaylee
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank for all your help. The camera seems to be working OK now, but I though that before. I will see, If it doesing 

work I will call Netgear.and see what they can do.