Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 16 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
MikeyLV
Star
Star

My email is confirmed. alerts@arlo.com is whitelisted. Basestation running 1.7.1_4638.

Is there something new with the update I need to do?

17 REPLIES 17
Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I lost mine too.
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There is a thread suggesting that the low battery emails are "offline".  This somewhat makes sense since the new apps/web no longer have the checkbox option to send battery alerts.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Community-Feedback/Battery-warning-email-alerts-no-longer-available...

Of course, it would be very helpful if someone from Netgear would actually confirm this feature cut, and if/when it would be available again.  Clearly the cloud interface does support communication of battery state, so it should not be that difficult to re-enable.

MikeyLV
Star
Star
An email from support confirmed it was removed and that I can suggest it be put back in. What schmuck removed a prime application to keep the system running?
MikeyLV
Star
Star
We do apologize for the inconvenience. The Email notification has been removed on the recent update. However, you may post this as a request in our Ideas board if you want that feature back.

Our developers are looking into it. The changes in the new user interface are actually in response to a number of other request posted in that page. You may post it in https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We are currently investigating an issue with the low battery e-mail notification being sent. The toggle is no longer part of the UI but the feature still remains.

JamesC

CaptainDork
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback.

This is a critical issue and adding the check box back is essential for a lot of us.

TheBigGExpress
Apprentice
Apprentice

Exactly how does the "feature remain" if it is not working ?!?

TheBigGExpress
Apprentice
Apprentice

Exactly why would this feature be removed ?!?

Is it not obvious that this is a deal breaker for security ?!?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

TheBigGExpress wrote:

Exactly why would this feature be removed ?!?

Is it not obvious that this is a deal breaker for security ?!?

A bit of overstatement.

As stated before, the feature wasn't removed.  Why it isn't working is unknown but apparently will be fixed.

A "deal breaker for security" simply isn't true.  You have always had the ability to monitor the battery state via the app or browser. Virtually everyone uses those at some point, probably once a day or more, so the indication is there to see and monitor.  Yes, the email is a nice complement that should be working but it's not like you have no indication at all.

CaptainDork
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sorry to disagree.

The literature states that low battery alerts will be emailed to the email of record.

The features listed in the product advertising literature are important contributors to making a purchase decision among competing products.

Removing features after the sale is a breach of contract. Upon removal of the email notification of low battery, each buyer should have been given the opportunity to return the product.

I have a remote location that is secure and no one is allowed access to or entry into the small building.

We purchased the system because management was assured that low battery condition would not have to be monitored because Netgear would send an alert.

Upon receipt of that alert, we send a person near the remote site with instructions as to exactly which camera (out of 12) needs batteries.

The person near that location is not authorized to monitor the video representation of the site, as condition of a court order.

They are only allowed to proceed to the failing camera, replace batteries, and leave when we tell them all is well.

We don't babysit the cameras. They tell us if there is motion and email us a video of that motion. They USED to email us regarding low battery.

It's a "hands-off" automated monitoring system in compliance with existing terms and conditions for storing.

--

Question:

When we are not getting motion alerts is it because 1.) There are none, or 2.) The battery is dead?

Now, we have requested the court to allow us to assign two (2) people to monitor the Arlo cameras until this nonsense is fixed: 1.) To check for battery condition and 2.) a backup person to do the same in case 1.) is not available.

--

We consider the feature removal a breach of contract and a product liability issue, especially given that the back end, reportedly, supports the feature, but the user interface does not allow for invoking the feature.

We will be requesting an RMA; removing our positive reviews of the product; advising like-minded legal interests that the product is "high maintenance" and displays a deceptive feature list.

MikeyLV
Star
Star

I haven't seen the previous (in a while) or new product literature, but here are two issues:

1-If the literature that said that low battery alerts will be emailed to the email of record, but also said that specifications were subject to change without notice. Then Netgear is covered legally (ethically is another issue).

2-Does it still say this in the current literature? If it does and since Netgear is aware that this feature is not available, then it is fraud - interstate FTC fraud. Class action lawsuit fraud. Because this feature never existed so it can't be subject to change.

If I were Netgear, not only would I appologize, but offer something in return (more storage, free batteries, something).

It's been a month. I could have coded this for them in 2 days.

MikeyLV
Star
Star

So, I pissed myslef off by writing my last post. So I'm contacting a class action law firm.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

CaptainDork wrote:

(..)

They are only allowed to proceed to the failing camera, replace batteries, and leave when we tell them all is well.

I wonder how you realign a camera once it's been taken down to put fresh batteries in. It takes me a heck of a time to accurately orient and align a camera, and I have video feedback in realtime (plus some lag). Couldn't imagine how you do that with someone who can't see the picture live.

CaptainDork
Apprentice
Apprentice

The person changing the battery and the court-assigned custodian have cell phones.

1MadSci
Guide
Guide

Has the low battery notification been restored? I have been upgrading my cameras to the new 3.7V Watson rechargables and when I changed one of the sets it was low and the camera had stopped working with no notification. Does Netgear really believe that users have nothing better to do than constantly check the status of the cameras and look at the library? A few weeks ago we stopped gertting email notifications. I have been through the settings (nothing was changed) and tried adding another email address. I searched the forum and only find older posts on email notifications not working. Is there any support at Netgear?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I get low battery warnings every time with no issue.  I use a Gmail address.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

1MadSci,

It sounds like your email provider may be blocking Arlo alert emails. Check your spam folder to make sure emails are not being filtered.

JamesC