Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Nighthawk R7000 and Arlo Base Station

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
davidwee
Follower
Follower

Just a few questions with regards to Netgear Nighthawk R7000 & X8 with Arlo base station.

1) Can R7000 and Arlo base station co-exist in the same local network?

2) Does the Nighthawk X8 AC5300 have any support for Arlo Wire Free cameras?

3) Can R700 support more than 5 Arlo Wire Free cameras with Basic subscription?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) there should be no problem using both the router and base station on the same network. Each would set up its own WiFi network for the wireless cameras just as two base stations would.

2) I think your best bet is to read the various documents for any routers you're interested in. AFAIK, the R7000 is the only compatible router at the moment but that could change withe new hardware (there would have to be a hardware requirement for any firmware to take advantage of Arlo).

3) the 5 camera limit for the basic plan has nothing to do with the base stations or routers. It's a limitation of the plan.

AnthonyHoralek
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has there been any update for compatibility of the Arlo cameras to more robust routers such as:

NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S - AC2600 (R7800-100NAS)?   NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit Router (R8000)? Netgear AC5300 Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band WiFi Router (R8500-100NAS)?

I see there is a max of five cameras to stream.  Is this limitation also present for the 15-cameral plan? 

The Netgear routers above would presumably improve speed from the cameras to the (local) hosted router, but I am wondering about bottlenecks in the plan itself after the stream is sent to Arlo's host servers...

In other words, does this increase in local streaming speed matter if there are bottlenecks on the Arlo side of the house?

Tony 

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
The limitation of five concurrent streams is per base station, not per plan. So, you could get three base stations, connect five cameras to each for a total of 15 and not experience any bottlenecks. No matter whether you're on the basic (free) plan with three accounts (one per each set of five cameras), or on the Elite plan with one account for all 15 cameras.

But: where do you live that you're worrying about whether you can have more than five concurrent streams? I've never had a situation where I had all of my five cameras go off at the same time. In fact, my maximum of concurrent streams ever has been two, but that's only because I have two cameras recording concurrently when motion is detected on one of the two.

So, what scenario do you plan on using Arlo for? You do realize that the wirefree Arlo cameras are motion-triggered, right? I.e. they sit idle most of the time and only when they detect motion and you have activated them will they record video for a duration of 10 to 120 seconds, depending on your programming.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It would also depend on the upload speed your ISP provides. My 1Mbs would be swamped quickly.