Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Night Vision not working

Discussion stats
  • 33 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
rheality
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,
One of my cameras does not work on night mode.
I have done the following to resolve:
1. Removed the batteries and re-synced
2. Reset the base station turning it on and off
3. Removed the device and re-added
4. Toggled night mode on and off

Red sensor does come on and works in day mode but not at night.

Please can anyone help?

33 REPLIES 33
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My oldest cameras are still working fine with night vision. Planned obsolescence isn't a reality.

Bring one of the cameras into a dark room. Start live view or create motion to be detected. Do the IR illuminators light? All of them? Can you see clearly? Consider power cycling the base, open and close the battery door, and remove the camera from Settings, My Devices and resync. Does anything help?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

kalasoft,

Did the suggestions above by jguerdat help? Do you see the IR illuminators light up on the front of the camera?

JamesC

Johnny00
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought this set of 3 cameras and a base station about 2 weeks ago from Amazon.  I mounted it on the outside of my house using Shappy brackets.  The night vision leds refuse to turn on, well one did once for about 2 minutes.  The extra camera that I bought did work in a dark cupboard but when I swopped it for one mounted outside it didn't work. Foolishly I subsequently bought a Tenergy battery charger, 9 rechargeable batteries, another camera and another set of Shappy brackets.  This is getting too expensive for it not to work.

I have a support case open with Netgear but I am getting nowhere, all they seem interested in is photos showing the blackness when the night vision doesn't work and the serial numbers of the cameras.  (It would help if they told me where the serial numbers were located).

Does anyone have the Arlo cameras that work at night?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

All mine that have night vision enabled work fine and some have worked for years. The serial numbers are found in Settings, My Devices, your device, Device Info. If you haven't renamed your cameras, it's the original name for the camera when you synced it.

How are you determining that NV isn't working? You said one worked in a cupboard but not outside. Short of a failure between taking it out of the cupboard and placing it outdoors, there's nothing to cause that to happen. I assume Night Vision is enabled for the various cameras in Settings, My Devices, your camera, Night Vision? When you move around in front of the cameras at night (with no external lighting), can you see the dull red glow from the cameras? Do you happen to have the cameras aimed insuch a way that there's no way the limited illumination from the camera can light the scene? Illumination may not extend past 15-20 feet.

Post screenshots from the cameras during both day and night so we can see what's up.

srobe
Guide
Guide

Netgear replaced both the cameras I bought as a package that did not work correctly. NOw they are working fine and I even bought the rechargeable batteries they recommended. Thank you for keeping me up on this.

Lovely
Aspirant
Aspirant

Lovely
Aspirant
Aspirant

Will respond later with the numbers to Arlo wireless.  Tried uninstalling procedure and reinstalling the camera. The black view is a little better but still not a clean view.  it has white dots throughout image.  Also, the troubleshooting has depleated my batteries, what a sad situation.  These batteries a very expensive.  Ive had my camera at least six month and they started out fine.  Problem started after the latest update per email message.  If this is the result of updating software then a prior solution from Netgear should be available.  I read where multiple customers are having the same issue.  The second camera mounted up high on house has the same problem.  Will try the reinstall this weekend. Our arlo pros are working fine. Both are very expensive products. We were really happy until this happened.  Recently purchase another add-on and have not set it up yet. Debating wether or not to return.  We have invested a lot of money in the Netgear brand and would like to remain happy customers.  I really do not want to call support because of the language barriers.  Its not easy trying to explain a problem to a person that is not of english as a first language.  I'm sorry but I had a difficult time the last two times I called support.  My question too is why am I calling overseas when the company is a neighbor of where I live. Route calls to local lines not out of the country. We buy in USA but our telephone support is non-USA.  It would not be a problem if english was the first language.  I have lived out of the country and aware of how employers employe from other country.  The problem is communication and understanding. We both end fustrated, therefore i joined in on the community for support.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Lovely,

Can you post a screenshot from the cameras point of view so we can better understand the issue you are facing with the Night Vision?

JamesC

bstout
Aspirant
Aspirant