Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Jimmybeam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all, setup 3 cameras and all working ok. I am an older guy and sick to death of having things broken, cars broken into etc so bought this system.

I have it setup on my home computer using win 10 and using the latest firmware.

First question is can i get an Arlo shortcut for my computer?

Second question is do i need to push the record button for the cameras to get a recording of what happened?

Third question is where on the computer is all this info stored?

The guy who sold it to me mentioned the "cloud", what is this and how do i access it?

Can i turn off the cameras during the day to conserve battery life?

How come 1 camera is in color and the other 2 are black and white? have i done something to get this?

I personally don't possess a mobile phone but my wife has 1 so we will get our grandson to set up an app on it when he can.

Thanks for putting up with what may be basic/stupid questions.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Jimmybeam wrote:

First question is can i get an Arlo shortcut for my computer?

The computer shortcut is depends on your browser.  Chrome uses the star at the right side of the URL bar where you type in where you want to go.  This will put it in your bookmarks.  Alternatively, go to the page you're interested in and left click and hold on the icon to the left of your URL.  Drag that to your desktop.

Jimmybeam wrote:

Second question is do i need to push the record button for the cameras to get a recording of what happened?

Only if you're using live view.  By default, the Armed mode is active and will detect motion on any camera and record for 10 seconds.  Those videos will be found in the Library tab.

Jimmybeam wrote:

Third question is where on the computer is all this info stored?

All videos are stored in "the cloud" which simply means they're not on your computer. They're physically stored on a server somewhere "out in the cloud".  You should view your videos in your library and be sure to download them to your computer to save them.  The ones on the remote server will be deleted on a rotating basis after 7 days.

Jimmybeam wrote:

Can i turn off the cameras during the day to conserve battery life?

Not really.  The cameras are in a sleep mode when not recording so will use very little battery.  It's when recording or live viewing that the battery can get sucked down.

Jimmybeam wrote:

How come 1 camera is in color and the other 2 are black and white?

It's about light level.  If there's sufficient light, the videos will be in color.  Lack of light, whether a darkish room or twilight, will cause the cameras to automatically switch to B&W.  Nothing you can do about it other than to add light.  Turn lights on in the room or use exterior lighting for outdoor cameras.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

1) Yes... for the PC the access is  https://arlo.netgear.com

If you right click drag over above and save, you can go to the main screen and right click again...opens pop up, use NEW and it give the option of SHORTCUT.. follow steps and paste in the  above address.

2) No, but you can....  If the cameras are ARMED, they will auto record on detecting motion.  If your in LIVE VIEW and watching, you can click on the 'target" button (bottom of camera) and manually record.

3) The videos go from your home up to the internet to a server owned/used by Netgear.... when you view same, it comes back to your home computer and plays.

4) the cloud is above ...a server that sits somewhere and stores yur videos, it's just not local on your computer. You access all your videos from the LIBRARY in the prgm

5) Yes... you can DISARMED them...they go to sleep and use very little power

6) the cameras switch from color to B/W if the light levels fall below what the camera needs ( automatic ).  If in a lit room or day they should be color.

7) no stupid questions, only except ones that should have been asked but you didn't....right up there with men not asking directions when lost 🙂

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------