Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
AfricaAD
Follower
Follower

I just spent the morning with tech support troubleshooting why video will not stream & record. I am disappointed to learn that the base (& is advised by support) is best served to be directly connected with a simple standard network setup: modem --> router --> base.

My setup is not complicated, The services enter my home & are distributed through a central location (garage). I have a Netgear FVS318N VPN/Firewall/Router, which for the most part was purchased as a switch to the other locations in my home, & WiFi is disabled. My office contains a Netgear WNDR4500, set as an access point & switch. Access Control is disabled. My base is connected to here as there is signal loss into the garage. Since the update was rolled out, this no longer works. I forwarded ports 80 & 443, with no luck. Apparently, a double NAT environment is preventing connection to the media station. The base functioned immediately once connected directly to my router, even deleteing the forwarded ports.

Support also advised to not connect the base behind powerline adapters, extenders, switches/hubs, unmanaged or not, etc. as they could hinder access to the media server. Although this is advertised, there is no documentation to address work arounds to the issues. I am certain I am not the only consumer of this product to be in a scenario where the base be best served located elsewhere.

I am surprised that this is not seen as a concern to Netgear & the Arlo team. Responses were vague & pointed at the complexity of the newtwork. I have only owned this product for a few months & have been overall pleased, unitl now.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not being familiar with the specific equipment, I'm guessing here. It sounds like you're using 2 DHCP servers, hence the double NAT. Use only the one in the garage, the FVS318N. That may help all around.

As for using extenders, etc., there certainly could be issues depending on the exact scenario. I can't blame support for not being willing to support every possible configuration so maybe the forums are the best place to try to get it to work. Since it worked before the upgrade, it would seem that something significant has changed in the base firmware. I see a couple of quick possibilities, one being using onions DHCP server and another being at least a temporary use of a long Ethernet cable from the FVS318N to the base as a test. Perhaps disconnecting the office AP and plugging the base into the cable from the garage would be a quick test.

Hope some of this gives you some ideas.

WadeShuler
Star
Star

This is the same for all manufacturers in the tech industry. It is not their problem if you have a complicated (any more than modem and router) setup and do not posses the tech knowledge to make it work yourself.

There are many routers who do not play nice. You can forward the ports, and they still don't listen, or just aren't compatable with random devices for whatever reason. Usually you can limit these conflicts by using the same brand. If you have a Linksys router, a Linksys Access Point would have better odds at being compatable. This does not mean a Netgear or Belkin of your choice will not work, it just helps increase the odds of everything playing well together.

You could try to place the base station on your top most device, the router directly off your modem. If it works, buy a spool of ethernet cable, some RJ-45 ends, and a crimper, and run your own ethernet as far as you need to. Both ends are: Orange+White, Orange, Green+White, Blue, Blue+White, Green, Brown+White, Brown... while the clip is facing down.

You could also try putting the base station in DMZ mode (in your router, you can select the device by the MAC Address usually, more reliable than by IP). This will put it outside of your router and firewall. Since you connect to the base station through the arlo site anyways, you shouldn't have to worry about your internal devices reaching it within your network. DMZ mode is an alternate option when you can't get ports opened. The down side is, a device in DMZ mode can't reach into your internal network because it is sitting outside of it. There is no local access option to your base station anyways, so it probably wouldn't hurt you.

An XBOX for example, in DMZ mode, can't access your network hard drive to access your Movies.

I am certainly not defending Arlo (Netgear) here.. The updates released for this device over the past year, have been pathetic.