Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
davidahm
Tutor
Tutor

I installed the new Arlo App (Sept 2019), but when I open the app, after logging on, the app just disappears from the screen and I'm back at my phone's home screen. I've already tried cycling the phone on and off, and uninstalling and reinstalling the new app, and deleting the old app. When I open the app, I just get the Arlo loading white screen, then it blips away. I'm using an iphone 5c with IOS 10.3.3 (unfortunately that's the latest ios that will work with my phone, but it meets the Arlo app minimum requirements. 

150 REPLIES 150
JB29
Initiate
Initiate
Arlo news on when you are going to fix the problem! It is getting farcical now. I suggest fix it or start refunding people who bought your useless system!
HurricaneJim
Tutor
Tutor

I also downloaded the old app and no problems using it.  That new app has got a lot of problems to it.

fireman1
Guide
Guide
I have downloaded the new app numerous times and works fine the first time then won't open again, just get the arlo logo and it closes. I have redownloaded the old app and does not work properly at all anymore, no live feeds or playback of activations. I have a iphone 5C with IOS 10.3, this system worked without any problems for two years until I downloaded the new app. At this rate I don't think Arlo is ever going to get this figured out. My base unit is VMB 4000 with three wireless Arlo Pro Cameras.
LuAnnFischer
Tutor
Tutor

New app released mid September doesn't work on our older Ipad.  I understand the need for upgrades, but why not maintain compatibility with the older IOS for Ipads? I find this very frustrating, especially since Arlo Legacy doesn't work anymore ( or so you tell us).

Normandroy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, and the silence/lack of response from Arlo is deafening. Great company!

HurricaneJim
Tutor
Tutor
The old app can still be downloaded and used. That what I did. Gave up on the new one.
fireman1
Guide
Guide

I have tried downloading the old app a number of time and it won't run properly anymore, if i click "live" all I get is a still picture.  Also any activations of the cameras won't replay the recorded video.  Never had a problem before!

LuAnnFischer
Tutor
Tutor
I downloaded Arlo Legacy & it worked. Arlo PLEASE fix this issue! It sounds like there are lots of users who still want to use OLDER apple products for it!
parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am having the same problem. It's just one of many issues Arlo brought on since their crippling updates back in May. I have held back from commenting on this thread until now. After reading all of the comments I found one thing in common with other threads. Arlo Moderators and so called Gurus are clueless. In this thread alone several know it all's state that Arlo's iOS  APP doesn't support any system with less than iOS 11. When in fact that was changed with the introduction of it's latest botched app that specifically states it supports iOS 10.3 and above. The fact that we're getting bogus info from those who should be in the know is a shame.  Arlo's execs continue to remain silent as their crack engineers jack up every update both app and firmware they work on should piss everyone off. I am amazed at all the negative threads on various subject on the community home page. Arlo!  You are a embarrassment to the security camera community. Hire a crew that will leave well enough alone. There's a lot to be said about the old cliche "If it ain't broke don't fix it" 

fireman1
Guide
Guide
Agree totally with what you have stated. I had a security system that ran perfectly for about two years up until just recently. I actually recommended this system to a number of friends who were looking for new security systems, I hope they didn't listen to me. Arlo has left us behind and I don't feel very confident that they even care about resolving this problem that they have created. As many have said here the silence from Arlo on this issue is deafening.
Mary_
Aspirant
Aspirant

since the update my camera detects motion and notifies me on my I phone but no pictures appear.  I cant even log onto my arlo account on my phone.  It seems they should be able to fix this but no luck so far.  I wonder If I should buy RING instead?  So frustrating!!!!!!!

Mary_
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your input parsgood

If they at least acknowledged they knew ios 10.3 was a problem and that they are working on it I would feel hopeful!

arggggggg

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey everyone - the engineering team here has been hard at work. We'll have a fix out for iOS 10.3 soon and at that point you'll be able to move over to the new Arlo app.

There are a couple other items we are tying up before making this release, so until then, please continue to use the Arlo Legacy app if you have iOS 10.3.

LuAnnFischer
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you for finally responding to let us know you are aware and are working on the problem!
Normandroy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yeah, heard that before and still nothing. How about you telling us more specifically what the problem is and why it occurred. Also, how about an interim fix, like canceling the annoying notice telling us to download/use the new app every time I open the old app?

TMcat
Aspirant
Aspirant

Finally forced to buy newer phones for my family so we can access our security system, iOS 13 on these. the Arlo app debacle was the immediate but no only reason for buying later gen phones. the newer phones does now work on both new and old apps. Still some glitches related to live feed and slow detection and loading.

TMcat 

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @Normandroy  - Yep, fair, I did post something similar a short while ago. While I cannot get into details behind the issue, I can say that we are so far seeing good results from the proposed fix for this.

However, you should not be seeing the notice to download the new app if you are opening the Arlo Legacy on iOS 10.3.x - if you are, I'd really appreciate if you could confirm your iOS version so I can get that resolved for all of you ASAP.  (Our intention was to disable that reminder for folks on iOS 10.3.x until the fix was released).

Normandroy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yup, I'm still getting the notice to download the new app. And, I do have - as I've said before - 10.3.3 (using ipad - on my Iphone, no prob.)

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Thanks for those details @Normandroy , I'm forwarding this to our team now.

BuckPoint
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am hoping that my comments will be noted by the Arlo development team.  I get that Arlo is no longer part of Netgear but it seems a bit shortsighted to develop an app and require its use but to make it unavailable to so many Arlo customers.  I have a 7-camera Arlo Pro 2 system, which I am very happy with.  The Arlo app is great but it sucks the life out of my iPhone 6 so my preference has always been to use my iPad, which can stay in its charger, to view my cameras and to change my settings.  I have a 4th generation iPad. My iPad software is up to date and runs iOS 10.3.4.  If there is any way that Arlo can make its new app downloadable for older devices I am sure it would be appreciated by many of Arlo's customers.  I have lots of apps on my iPad and the new Arlo app is the only one that will not update.  The new Arlo app says that it requires iOS 10.3 or later but the app will not download to iOS 10.3.4.  An attempt was last made on 10/16/19 at 07:00 AM.  Live View is no longer available nor can I access Arlo library recordings on my iPad.  As an alternative to fixing the app maybe Arlo can send each of us a coupon for a new iPad. Yes!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BuckPoint wrote:

The new Arlo app says that it requires iOS 10.3 or later but the app will not download to iOS 10.3.4.  

If you go up a few posts to https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/New-Arlo-app-won-t-stay-open-and-crashes-on-iOS-10-x/m-p/1733662#... you'll see that Arlo is aware of the problem, and is testing a fix (which will hopefully be released soon).  In the meantime, they've kept the legacy app running, so you can just continue to use that.  Another workaround is to use https://my.arlo.com on a PC.

BuckPoint
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  The old app is still on my iPad but it no longer functions properly.  I'm glad to know that Arlo is working on a fix.  Although I would still like a coupon for a new iPad.  Bwahahaha

ARLO_ROCKS
Star
Star

Don't know if this will help you, however, I have always had issues with the legacy (no live view).  Since I have been forced to use it exclusively, I noticed that one of my camera's does show live view - it's the new pro 2 camera.  All of my other cameras are the first generation VMC3030.  

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ArloAlex 

It's been 8 days now and all we're hearing is cricketts. I have a Gen 4 iPad running 10.3.3. New app still crashes when opening.  Your work around using the Legacy app is bogus. Legacy won't download and it prompts me to download a earlier version that has no live view. Please let us know what's going on. Eight days is plenty of time. If we don't hear from you I will suggest consumers file complaints to The BBB and the Federal Trade Commission. Maybe the Ca Atty General's office would be interested. Last I checked it's a crime to knowingly sell faulty products. Especially when said products are advertised as security systems.

Normandroy
Apprentice
Apprentice

I agree. It's taking way too long. They have had more than enough time to fix this. It's time to get regulators, or someone, involved that can force action or perhaps a class action suit so we can all get the money we spent on Arlo products back and use it to buy a better system.