Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Bobtobey
Tutor
Tutor

Where do I find the Network Security Key to connect my Arlo system to my Dell deskyop using an Exfinity router.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You don't - it doesn't exist.  You simply plug the base into the router using an Ethernet cable.  The Arlo WiFi is self-contained and used only for communication between the cameras and base.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You don't - it doesn't exist.  You simply plug the base into the router using an Ethernet cable.  The Arlo WiFi is self-contained and used only for communication between the cameras and base.

Bobtobey
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you.

AmandaJ123
Initiate
Initiate
If it doesn't exist then why does my desktop ask for one?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What are you doing to cause this?  If you're trying to use WiFi to connect to the base, of course you'll be asked.  Also, of course, the login info is unknown so it will fail.

OwenParks
Tutor
Tutor
Had to use an extender and it changed my network to netgear 07 and asks for a security key now for that network
OwenParks
Tutor
Tutor

OwenParks
Tutor
Tutor
It also knock other devices off line
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The extender MUST connect to the router. Sounds like you didn't set it up correctly. Reset it and make sure you connect it to whatever you router's SSID is. You'll then have to enter the router's passphrase.

OwenParks
Tutor
Tutor
It also knock other devices off line, the extender is correct worked perfectly until I hooked up base station as the video instructed. If there is no key why does you program ask for one and why does it setup a network for other devices
OwenParks
Tutor
Tutor
Hum no answer, I've worked with computers for about 40 yrs, the answer you gave was completely unacceptable and I feel the same about the questions before mine. I did fix the problem, but the guestion still stands for the second part, why the programming for the network.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've worked with computers for over 35 years and am a retired IT pro and manager dealing with *nix, PCs, Macs, networks, WiFi, etc. I know a thing or two about this stuff. You also seem to imply that I work for Netgear which I have never done (Kodak and LSI Logic).

I'm glad you got your issue sorted but you don't say how. A useful response would have included steps you took so others don't have the same problem. As for the base creating a WiFi network for the wireless cameras, that's well-known and understood that you can't connect to it. Now, more to the point, I don't know why 1) you connected to it and 2) why it knocked other devices off the network. While I can fight my way out of a wet paper bag without a machete, I can't always envision what's going on over the Internet. A few folks have had at least somewhat similar issues as you but no one has ever responded with what they did to get things going or if they just gave up. We can't be mind-readers or know everything.

So, what did you do to get up and running?

Jason_W
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think this is by Design. 

I don't think ARLO wants you to have the default network security key. If it was made avaialble than anyone would be able to gain access to someone's network and Camera system. 

Or, It is completely Random (by design, for the same reason)

Frustrating for a tech guy?  You Bet. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Jason_W wrote:

I think this is by Design. 

I don't think ARLO wants you to have the default network security key. If it was made avaialble than anyone would be able to gain access to someone's network and Camera system. 

Or, It is completely Random (by design, for the same reason)

Frustrating for a tech guy?  You Bet. 

Also remember, the Arlo base is not a complete "router"... it's just designed to work with the cameras , not other devices.

I was able to get into one base and connect with an external device... spend a few hours and got nothing for it. It just didn't function like a "normal" router.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------