Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

NetGear WiFi Range Extender WN3000RP

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
johnmbailey
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi. Could anyone please tell me whether the Arlo VMS3430-100EUS 4 camera home security kit can be used in conjunction with a Netgear WiFi extender. The extender connects with my Broadband easily enough but there appears to be no WPS button on the Netgear Arlo router to recognise an extender. My house due to its construction has indifferent WiFi coverage and I was looking at ways to improve this and thus increase the places that cameras could be sited. Any help would be appreciated (the less technical the better for me!!). Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I happen to have one Arlo base station connected through an old Netgear WiFi extender. You don't need WPS or anything other than an Ethernet cable between the base and extender to work as long as the extender has connection to your router.

Or am I misunderstanding?

johnmbailey
Aspirant
Aspirant
Unfortunately the distances do not allow me to use an Ethernet cable and a WiFi connection is the only possible solution in my mind. The extender boosts the signal from the broadband router via the WPS connection. However the Netgear Arlo router is connected to the broadband router and only feet apart. Connecting the Arlo unit to the extender with an Ethernet cable would only produce the same problem at the other end of the house. I hope that clarifies my dilemma for you and others and hope a solution emerges. Regards.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since the AArlo wireless cameras do not use your home WiFi but only the dedicated WiFi between the base and cameras, an extender won't do anything for you. The solution to a situation where signal is bad in one part of the house but good in another is to use a second base station. In this case, your WiFi extender would be useful to be able to position that second base optimally for the other part of the house.

johnmbailey
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks that's what I had concluded but thought it was worth putting the question out there in case someone had managed to think of another way around it without the purchase of a second base unit.