Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Need help getting motion deteced

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
larschr5
Guide
Guide

Hi,

I'm a new Arlo user and has just mounted one camera outside this evening. However even when motion detection is set to 100 no motion is detected coming around the corner and looking around the farthest door/window. However when cars drive by I'll get a motion detection. 

Any ideas on how to improve motion detection? I'll post a daylight picture tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any advice on how to improve the motion detection. 

image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
larschr5
Guide
Guide

Schorschi wrote:

larschr5 wrote:

(..) I'll probably buy an additional camera to place indoors for detection if someone enters from the terrace. 

Careful. You can't use an Arlo wireless camera and have it look through a window and expect it to sense motion. It won't work through glass. Besides, you wouldn't be able to use it in Night Vision mode, because the built-in infrared LEDs would reflect on the glass and blind the camera.

You could get an Arlo Q however, and place it indoors to monitor an area outdoors. But, again, you wouldn't be able to use NIght Vision.

Thanks for the advice. My idea was to position an indoor Arlo camera to detect motion if someone should enter from the terrace. So I'd position it looking across the entire living room and if anyone should gain access they'd walk right in front of the camera's field of view (side to side motion). Not the optimal solution but the Arlo systems positives far outweigh the negatives. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
pjraf
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't have a solution but would add my frustration.  Motion detection is very poor, almost non-existent.  Sensitivity seems to default to 80 even after I adjust it up to 100.  As it presently is set up, the device is useless.

justintong
Aspirant
Aspirant

How about turning the camera about 90 degrees so that people walking by will be detected as side to side motion by the camera. The camera is more sensitive to this type of motion rather than motion coming toward the camera.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

larschr5,

The suggestion made by justintong above could definitely help. It's also possible that the motion you are trying to detect is out of the cameras range. It may take some trial and error to find the best location for motion detection, take a look at this article outlining the conditions for best performance: How do I place my Arlo camera?

JamesC

larschr5
Guide
Guide

Thnks for the suggestion. Turning the camera 90 inwards towards the house is a fair suggestion for improving motion detection but it will leave the door/window fartest away out of the cameras view which is not really what I want. I wanted to be able to cover the entire terrace with one camera. Looks like it's not possible and I need two cameras mount directly on the brick above the doors.  

Will have to think about if the Arlo system is good enough for my needs. 

Geoff
Luminary
Luminary

Have you tried turning the camera upside down?

larschr5
Guide
Guide

Doh! Exellent suggestion and I will give it a try. Will also try turning the camera slightly inwards to avoid false alarms and see if that helps with motion detection. I need a clear view of the entire terrace so I'll probably buy an additional camera to place indoors for detection if someone enters from the terrace. 

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

larschr5 wrote:

(..) I'll probably buy an additional camera to place indoors for detection if someone enters from the terrace. 

Careful. You can't use an Arlo wireless camera and have it look through a window and expect it to sense motion. It won't work through glass. Besides, you wouldn't be able to use it in Night Vision mode, because the built-in infrared LEDs would reflect on the glass and blind the camera.

You could get an Arlo Q however, and place it indoors to monitor an area outdoors. But, again, you wouldn't be able to use NIght Vision.

larschr5
Guide
Guide

Schorschi wrote:

larschr5 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. My idea was to position an indoor Arlo camera to detect motion if someone should enter from the terrace. So I'd position it looking across the entire living room and if anyone should gain access they'd walk right in front of the camera's field of view (side to side motion). Not the optimal solution but the Arlo systems positives far outweigh the negatives. 

achoi2
Aspirant
Aspirant

dear friends

after trying for a week and complaint for a week on the discuss forum and netgear web site

i am totally agree what the pp said here

this device is not meant to use FROM inside TO outside

not pointing to the glass

i had finally removed the camera above the door frame shooting From

inside thru the glass to my front door TO outside and mounted under the soffit

it's way better - but again, this is not CCTV, it's a wireless device

it wont work what u are expected - if y understand what i meant

i will keep trying and see if the motion detection is ok since i put outside

(because i had been trying for a week from inside)

worst case i will just refund it

hope this can u for the concern u had