Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

N300 WiFi Range Extender

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
dogorunr
Follower
Follower

Has anyone tried to use a Netgear N300 WiFi Range Extender with their Arlo Netgear Base Station? If so, how did you connect it to the network? It's asking me for a password but I don't know what it is. Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have a different Netgear extender but haven't tried using it this way.  You'd need to connect the two using an Ethernet cable so I don't know why you're getting a password prompt.  You can try the extender's WiFi passphrase in case that's how it's supposed to work.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

sounds more like your trying to link the extender to the arlo base unit ( wifi system itself ) via the Base's wifi...

Can't get into the base system that way.

As jeff mentioned, you connect the Base to the extender with a ethernet cable ( if your extender has a port ), your extender connects via signal to your reg wifi router.  Just hope there's a good thru-put between the router and extender as it's needed for a stable arlo system.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
FedericaC
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi dogorunr,

To connect your Base station to a N300 WiFi Range Extender:

1. On your computer: Go to Wireless Network Connection (bottom-right on Windows, icon wifi icon on mac.pngon Mac)
  2. Look for a network named 'NETGEAR_EXT' (extender default name) 
  3. If the icon on your extender device (right side) is green, connect the Base station to the extender (Ethernet cable)
  4. Open the page http://mywifiext.net (new extender setup) and follow the instructions/wizard. During this process you can rename your extender.
  5. Go back to Wireless Network Connection > join the extender network named 'namegiventotheextender_EXT' (password not required)

Note: The process may vary depending upon the model of your extender. You can find an example here.

Hope this helps

Best Regards,
Federica

MSGAJ49
Aspirant
Aspirant

For the N300 WiFi Range Extender

My biggest problem; Finding the WPS button on the wireless router for the connection to the Extneder. I was pushing the on/off and didn't look on the side of the router, planly marked WPS. Once pushed a few seconds and they were in touch.

Another was getting my network, Get your passwords 1st from the old network. right click on the present network, go to Properties, Security, press "Show charaters" and write it down for the new ....._EXT network to hookup to. Works fine now.

Kyleresq
Tutor
Tutor

H Federica.  There is one issue with your step by step instructions.  There is only one ethernet port on the Arlo Netgear router.  Currently my actual Wifi router (ATT) is connected to the Netgear via an Ethernet cable.  When I follow your instructions, I am supposed to plug an ethernet cable from the Arlo router to the Wifi Extender.  There is only one ethernet port.  I tried 2 options, neither worked.  1) I tried to use a USB to Ethernet cable that I use for my laptop.  This did not work.  2) I tried to unplug the ethernet from my ATT router, and just plugged it in between the Arlo router and the Wifi extender.  That did not work either.  Ideas?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think you misunderstand. The extender only connects to the router via WiFi. You would unplug the base station from the router and plug it into the extender once the extender has created its connection to the router. Does this make sense?

Tulley
Apprentice
Apprentice
But this just extends your home wifi and not the Arlo base unit which I thought we were talking about. Extending you home wifi will not help your camera signals only extending the arlo base station will.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You're right, the use of an extender simply allows the base station to be positioned away from your router. A long ethernet cable would do the same thing. The conversation here has been about just this scenario, not somehow increasing the range for the camera to base connection.

Moll2969
Aspirant
Aspirant

We just did this.  Our router was in a location that all camera's wouldn't reach.  We got a WiFi extender (Netgear) and put it, and the Arlo Base in a new (centralized) location.  It seems now that all camera's are able to be active. I'm just waiting to see if there's a lag now.  Hopefully there won't be.

largoflyboy
Aspirant
Aspirant

dogorunr wrote:

Has anyone tried to use a Netgear N300 WiFi Range Extender with their Arlo Netgear Base Station? If so, how did you connect it to the network? It's asking me for a password but I don't know what it is. Thanks.

Did you have any luck addressing this issue?  I've the same problem, but people keep posting solutions that revolve around moving the Arlo base using an extender rather than Extending the Arlo network. 

Clearly this his is an ongoing issue, the posts that are continually misinterpreted have been view collectively more than 30,000 times. 

Thanks!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

largoflyboy wrote:

dogorunr wrote:

Did you have any luck addressing this issue?  I've the same problem, but people keep posting solutions that revolve around moving the Arlo base using an extender rather than Extending the Arlo network. 

Clearly this his is an ongoing issue, the posts that are continually misinterpreted have been view collectively more than 30,000 times. 

Thanks!

The problem is not the password as there is none for the Arlo base..Also, the extender doesn't connect to Arlo base ( only arlo cameras do ).

The wifi extender must connect to your home wifi/router and the only way it will work is if the extender has an ethernet port for better placement of the base ( or a second base unit )

The Q cam will hook into most extenders as it hooks into your home wifi as designed

Morse is faster than texting!
Kmmgood
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do I get the N300 extender to commucate with the bast station? What are the steps?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Assuming the extender has an Ethernet port, just plug it in. Should be that simple. If you need to set it up in your account, connect your phone to the extended WiFi and proceed.