Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

My base station will not reach all of my camera's, what can I do to improve the range?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Banger2411
Aspirant
Aspirant

I live in a modestly sized home 1800 sq feet.  My base station will not reach all of my camera's.  I need to purchase another base station so I can cover my home.  I am reading that I can't do this.  If this is true, what can I do to imporve the range? Moving it in the house is not an option as I have vaulted ceilings.  I have installed a Ubiquiti Edge Router and a LR Access point so that I could set up another base station*

Maybe Arlo is not the outfit for my home and should I return the set up?

Thanks in advance for any info/help.

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The range is a factor of the construction in the home vs signal penetration...

There are two ways to expand the ranges to the cameras...

1) buy a second base and located them at each end of the home (btw, tho the Arlo base isn;t sold separate, come the new year the Pro base will be...it is fully backward compatable.

2) use a wifi extender with and etherent port and centrally locate the base you have (or etherent cable )

That's the choices you have with the Arlo and Arlo Pro. 

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Nuts4Cats
Guide
Guide

I bought these for outdoor use, but of course the base station has to be inside near my computer. Does this answer imply I have to worry about where I put it outside? What is the range? I may have bought the wrong thing. I do have a WiFi extender near my modem, and it is centrally located within the house, but outside is different matter. 

While I am writing about this, the package came with only one outdoor mount. Can I use one of the indoor mounts outside? Seems odd to inclue in a package of two cameras only one outdoor and two indoor mounts.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The extender can be used to help position the base optimally to the cameras. You may need to reposition the extender to meet all goals.

I don't know how they're packaging systems these days but I use the magnetic mounts outdoors with no issues.

Banger2411
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey Tom,

What I have found out now (unless I am incorrect which may be*) is that the LR SB did not do much to assist.  The reason being is that the wireless cameras have to hit the base station and the extra wifi range from my SB just connects to the base station.  Therefore, the base station is the same strength with or without the LR SB.  That said, I did pay to have the router moved to a more central location in my house and now the base station that is closer to the camera in the garage would not pick it up.  Also, I thought moving it closer to the front of the house it would pick up the one camera I have at the furthest point from where the station was perviously located.  I was wrong.  At this point I am looking at the 2nd base station and moving it right up front in the attic above the garage.  My consern is the the extreme heat here in Phoenix will kill it.  So I am looking at brilling a hole in the ceiling and putting it inside the kitchen in the cabinet next to the garage door.  So, now I am wondering that if it is in there and if the signal has to go through the cabinet and then the wall to the garage, will it be strong enough to pick it up? Also, if I purchase another base station I am going to move the original one back to the original spot at the other end of the house.  This makes me consider buying the station with 2 extra wireless camera's which will bring my total of wireless cameras up to 6 and still have the 2 Q's.  If I do this, what is the best financial way to have them all connected.  Right now I am on the free plan but not opposed to spending a little money each month.  The extra 2 cameras will cover the only two blind spots on the property.  That is not a huge concern for us but if I have to have 2 stations to do what I need it to do, I figured why not look into this.  I wanted to thank you for detaile danswer very much.  

Your thoughts? 

Steven