Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 29 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
wiltonken
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am thinking of purchasing another Base Staion with 4 cameras. I have 2 questions.

1) If I attach the Base Station to my existing home network that already has a Base Station. Do I have to create a separate ID and password for the additional Base Station and cameras?

2) If I attach the Base Station to a different home network at a different geographic location. Do I have to create a separate ID and password for the additional Base Station cameras?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

wiltonken wrote:

I am thinking of purchasing another Base Staion with 4 cameras. I have 2 questions.

1) If I attach the Base Station to my existing home network that already has a Base Station. Do I have to create a separate ID and password for the additional Base Station and cameras?

2) If I attach the Base Station to a different home network at a different geographic location. Do I have to create a separate ID and password for the additional Base Station cameras?

1) No.... just add an additional base .  There is no limit on bases now, only number of cameras based on service level

2) No, ....just set the second base up at home and take to new location...plug in and it should work

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

wiltonken wrote:

1) No.... just add an additional base .  There is no limit on bases now, only number of cameras based on service level

2) No, ....just set the second base up at home and take to new location...plug in and it should work

wiltonken
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks again TomMac !!!! Do I use the New System Setup on the LOGON page to setup the additional Base Station ?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

wiltonken wrote:

Thanks again TomMac !!!! Do I use the New System Setup on the LOGON page to setup the additional Base Station ?

from live view screen at bottom is an add device button.... the base is one of the options

wiltonken
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks TomMac !!! Got it !!!!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

remember, you can only sync a camera to one base at a time... to move to another base, first remove it and then sync to second base

wiltonken
Aspirant
Aspirant

Got it !! Thanks for the reminder TomMac.  Have a great week !!!!!

JulieT
Initiate
Initiate

I just talked to support on this issue.   If this helps, I purchased a 2nd system with 4 cameras, and a base station.  

My first system with 4 cameras was working, and I installed the 5th camera (the first camera from my second system purchase).

and that 5th camera worked fine.  

Then, I tried to install my 6th camera, and I got a notification that I would need to apply to be charged monthly on my charge card

for the 6th camera.   

Well, I had just bought 2 systems, consisting of 8 cameras, and 2 base stations, so this did not seem right.

After talking to their support person in the Phillipines, and really trying to work something out, so that I would not have to PAY a MONTHLY FEE

of whatever it was, $9.99 or $14.99 a month forever, I had to give up for the night.

Arlo will not take into consideration that if a customer purchases 2 whole systems, but combines the usage of all 8 cameras, that you should not

have to pay the monthly fee. 

They said I would have to open up a new email account, and have 2 separate accounts, which would be quite a bit of hassle.

Who wants to check 2 separate email accounts?   Why would I want to install a second router if all 8 cameras would work off my first router?

Arlo, please work on these issues.   These issues are a deal breaker for me, and the 2nd purchase.   

wiltonken
Aspirant
Aspirant

Julie,

From what little I know. The 4 camera system(s) that I think you purchased only support a maximum of 5 cameras per base system. I don't think you have to purchase another router. Just plug in the additional base station into an open port on the existing router. You can add the 2nd base system to the existing router under the same logon and password as TomMac's comments to me earlier indicate. When you logon you should have a choice as to what base station cameras you want to view. I believe you can only view 1 base station set of cameras at a time when you have 1 logon. The only way I think you could view both base stations' cameras at the same time is to create separate logons for each base station and have 2 computers running. Perhaps TomMac can correct me and comment on this also.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Basically, you can have as many bases as you want/need.  That could be useful for situations where signal strength is an issue with the whole stretch of camera installations or even two separate locations.  However, the service plans are now based soley on how many cameras are in use with the basic plan supporting only 5.  Given this limitation, you have two choices - 1) purchase an upgraded service plan that handles the number of cameras you want to use or 2) create a second account using a second email address so the extra base station and cameras (still limited to 5 if using the basic plan) can be used.  This is the way it's always been with the exception of now no limit on the number of base stations (used to be just one for basic).

wiltonken
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks JGUERDAT for clarifying the issue. I did not know that the basic plan was governed by the number of cameras. I made the assumption that each base station was entilted to separate plans. Even though you "up" your subscription are you still limited to the number of cameras you can view on 1 screen?

Thanks again !!!!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

wiltonken wrote:

snip. Even though you "up" your subscription are you still limited to the number of cameras you can view on 1 screen?

Thanks again !!!!

There are three plans

1)Basic ( free ) with max 5 cams,

2)Preimer with 10 cams,

3)Elite with 15 cams.

With any account you can view up to the max listed cameras on one screen with one login.

But, ONE thing to remeber... You can only stream 5 cameras per base at one time.

Even tho I can have up to 10 cams, unless you add a second base ( and sync some cams to it ) you limit at same time is 5.

So in my case with 8 cameras, sometimes I sync 3 camera to the second base for 1) to have a better range 2) allow me to stream 8 cameras at the same time ( remember this includes recording )

wiltonken
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks TomMac (as usual). Very useful information. I probably will use another EMAIL address for the other base station since they will be at different geographic locations. Also were you aware that the motion detection does not operate behind a window(glass pane) ? Below I have pasted a piece of the conversation I had with ARLO Tech support on that matter. I have replaced the representative's name with Rep.

Rep : How far are those cameras from the base station? Rep : I see.

Kenneth        : One camera is 20 feet the other is about 60 feet Rep : I see. Rep : Is there a glass behind the cameras?

Kenneth        : yes between both of them. One is the front of the house the other is the rear. Kenneth        : There is glass in front of the cameras not behind

Rep : Oh I see.

Rep : That is the reason why the cameras are not detecting motions even if there motions sensors are already enabled.

Rep : The cameras are not able to detect motions behind insulated glasses.

Kenneth        : I did  not know that. The product never indicated that that was an issue. It is not practical for me to place the cameras outside because sometimes the temperatures fall out of the required range. I think that I was misled when I purchased these cameras.

Rep : I really do apologize for the inconvenience. By the way the operating temperature of the camera is between 14 degrees F to 122 degrees F. Rep : You may also check this link for more information about how does Arlo’s motion detection sensitivity work:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-does-Arlo-s-motion-detection-sensitivity-wo...

Kenneth        : I know that but it does fall below 14 degrees in Connecticut.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes... many are aware of the limitations of the PIR used on the Arlo cam for motion detection. ( it detects IR or the reflection of same and most glass blocks IR )

But, the Q cam WILL WORK thru glass as it uses a 'pixel change' type of motion detect ( see changes in picture ) as long as you turn off the IR illuminator ( the ir will reflect back off glass and wash out picture )

As to temps, mine has been down to zero and still functioned fine

wiltonken
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks TomMac !!!!!

1Gerry
Aspirant
Aspirant
I tried to connect a second base station to my basic account, and it will not connect. Why?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's plugged into power and via Ethernet to your router, right? WHat are the LEDs on the new base showing?  SHould be the left two on and green.  You're also using the Add Device button in the Cameras tab to try to connect it?  Need details.

Madison9299
Aspirant
Aspirant

Madison9299
Aspirant
Aspirant
Question. I have a a arlo system with 5 cameras, on the free plan. I have a extra base. Is it possible to have the extra base on the same network and link a 6th camera to the extra base with same login and password. ? And remain on free plan .
Then how do I view all cameras?
wiltonken
Aspirant
Aspirant

No I don't think you can. The way around this is to create another account with a different EMAIL.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Madison9299 wrote:
Question. I have a a arlo system with 5 cameras, on the free plan. I have a extra base. Is it possible to have the extra base on the same network and link a 6th camera to the extra base with same login and password. ? And remain on free plan .
Then how do I view all cameras?

previously answered in PM...

Yes, It is possible and you'll have to find the threads on same to do it...  You have to "SHARE" the sixth cam back to the first account ( need second account to use it tho )

Markincali
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me. I've tried nearly a dozen times. I'm trying to connect a second base station. I've connected it to power and the router. I've gone into Devices and selected add device, then base station. I've done this both through the website and the app. Every time, it spins and then comes back with a message that it can't recognize the device. Any advice? fyi, I have 4 cameras on the first base station, and want to add another with 4 more. And I upgraded to the elite plan.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
What are the LEDs showing? Should be 2 green ones - power and Internet.
Markincali
Aspirant
Aspirant
Both have been green each time
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
And yojhr computer or mobile device is on the same network? You're not using an extender, are you?