Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Lamborghini2010
Follower
Follower

I've been messing around with this thing for a week now and can't get it to stop picking up cars. Placed at the front door a little over 14 feet from the street, the street is not in the cameras view however it still picks up ALL passing cars. I've placed in 3 locations and adjusted over 100 times and played with the sensitivity and I either pick up every car in the neighborhood or the backside of someone walking away from the door. Getting pretty annoying. Tech support call was pointless and a waste of time. Anybody else having or had this issue and if so how did you get it to work? (Height of camera, angle, sensitivity) I have already read the "how to position" and "motion sensors" posts and they do not work for me.

5 REPLIES 5
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Have you tried mounting the camera upside down? The motion sensor is below the camera lens and mounting the camera upside down sometimes helps.

However, this may not be enough, and you may have to additionally fabricate a small visor and stick it on the underside of the camera (upperside when camera is upside down) - or otherwise under the motion sensor - to guard the PIR sensor against motion from beyond the top of the frame.

There have been reports of people in the forum who have successfully modded their cameras to get false motion alerts under control with these adjustments.

Here is a forum posting with a photo of someone showing this modification:

So, to summarize:

1. Make a small visor and attach it to the underside of the camera or below the motion sensor (i.e. above the top of the frame when camera is inverted) in order to shield the motion sensor from moving objects above the top of the frame.
  2. Mount camera upside down.
  3. Angle camera down far enough so that the upper edge of the frame is just not showing the street.
  4. Compensate for the now inverted image on the camera's Settings page by turning on the "Invert Image" switch.
Rogerwilco357
Guide
Guide

I to have the same problems . Catch over 100 cars at the end of the yard over 20 feet but cannot catch the mailman in front of my cameras view within 10 feet. Slow to act in front of camera but speeding car 40 feet away no problem lol waste of batteries and time . I'm a photographer and think some work needs to be done on the motion as my field of view is set correctly . I have spent way to much time trying to align these cameras to work correctly. For 500 plus dollars it should work and when the motion is turned down to 10% it should work at 10% not 100% still the option of turning down the sensitivity is false and doesn't work on either of my 4 cameras? Is there a replacement or recall? Maybe a meet us half way ? We get new working models for a discount ? Say half off for our time and troubles and we get upgraded versions that work? Let me know as this is a hard sell for me ,when people ask me do they work ? Would hate to be honest and the wrong person then figures out they have a 50 % chance of being caught on camera while stealing my car or breaking into my home. Feel the same way I did without these camera with added frustration.

Roger Cast.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Rogerwilco357,

It can sometimes take some trial and error to find optimal conditions for your Arlo system.

Take a look at the tips in this article to be sure your cameras are positioned for best performance: How do I optimize my Arlo Wire-Free camera’s motion detection performance?

If you're still having trouble, consider contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

Drbob1988
Guide
Guide
I'm having the same issues and will try these fixes. I'm disappointed with the system. I have had 4 cameras for 2 years. May replace with a different set up if I cannot get it fixed
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

hood.PNG