Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Alrad1977
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have an Arlo with 3 cameras. The motion detection on one camera isn’t working correctly. It was but now you have to be about three feet away from it for it to detect motion. I’ve done the motion test and the yellow light blinks and even turned up the sensitivity to 100 but out of the test mode it will not pick up motion unless you are right up on it. Help??
8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you setting the motion sensitivity in your modes and rules? The motion detection test is just a test and doesn't change/set anything.

Alrad1977
Aspirant
Aspirant
The only place sensitivity shows up for my cameras in when I pick Settings for the specific camera, then Video Setting, and Motion Detection Test. That’s where I can change my sensitivities. And the sensitivity or motion detection has changed without my doing anything do it because it does not work properly like it was. This is the only place I have to change the sensitivity.
traceyjean22
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the VMS 3430 Model No. Arlo 4 Wire Free HD Security Camera system from Net Gear. I have been working to get them set up all afternoon and haven't had much luck. I am unable to get them to record or send notifications of movement aside from when they are first synced up and after the base station is first loaded. (I've deleted and re-loaded trying to get it to work). Any ideas???? I read a post that said the motion sensitivity can only be set via home/rules however I don't see that option anywhere.....HELP! 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Read the FAQs here on not only the setting of sensitivity but creating custom modes, too. It's in the Mode tab after you click on your base. The Armed mode is used by default but you should generally create your own custom  modes so you have full control.

Your issue is likely due to the cameras being disarmed for some reason. The motion icon for each camera in the Devices tab (3 lines and a dot for the app, running man for the web) should be black, not gray. Gray means they are disarmed. Check your active mode in the Mode tab and make sure Armed or a custom mode is selected.

Alrad1977
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat Same here. I was told by Support to add a mode but I don’t have that option.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sure you do. Did you read the FAQ which will step you through the process? Mode tab, click on your base, select the Armed mode. Use the Add Mode selection at the bottom to create a custom mode.

Again, read the FAQ.

Alrad1977
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks. I did find that. And it worked for now.....just like removing the batteries, deleting/reinstalling the camera, etc.....which were all temporary fixes. My question is, why would it work properly for about three months out of the box and then all of a sudden it doesn’t pick up motion anymore unless you’re two feet away from the camera? Seems like something is no longer working properly to me?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

These things are basically computers which have been known to get weird at various times. Some folks have had to go through the pain of a system reset to get things working while others have had hardware failures. Opening a case with support may be useful, too:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx