Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Range for Arlo Netgear Camera seems lower

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
morganfam1997
Follower
Follower

I purchased my Arlo camera system VS3430 several months ago and just installed.  My camera's motion detection appears to be picking up around 10 ft and not the 25 ft that was stated.  THis is  consistent with all cameras.  I have looked at my settings and do not see a setting to change the range.  Please advise on how to increase the motion notification and recording to the 25ft.

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You prob need to increase the sense level.... Default is 80%, but most of mine run between 90-94%.

To change, you need to go to Modes and then edit the ARMED mode.

Under record on motion there is a sense adjustment slide bar... Move higher and save upon exiting.

Do a couple of percent at a time and test to avoid  many false triggers

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
TheWatcher24
Apprentice
Apprentice
Around 10 feet is motion detection actual range , other factors , such as clarity , speed of motion and angle of camera , you may get slightly more, but only at times , after a firmware/software update last year my cameras motion sensors worked close to the 20 feet stated in ads , but that lasted about a week.
At this time the only way to record motion is use 1 camera as a motion sensor to set off a 2nd camera to record , and if placed far enough apart and angled just right , this may get you a recording of what entered your field of wanted surveillance.
Sad but true.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@morganfam1997 wrote:

This is  consistent with all cameras.  I have looked at my settings and do not see a setting to change the range.  

You can't configure the range.  That is limited by the PIR sensors in the camera (and all PIR sensors have these limitations).  The distance is nominal - large objects (for instance trucks) will trigger when further away; small animals need to be much closer.

In addition to @TomMac's suggestions, I suggest you read through the camera positioning tips here: https://kb.arlo.com/37/How-do-I-position-my-Arlo-wire-free-camera

The cameras are designed to be more senstive to side-to-side motion.  If the motion is down the center of the field of view,  the motion detection won't work well.