Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Detection, changing sensitivity

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
SD-Feete
Follower
Follower

I have the Arlo cameras and they are not very responsive with motion detection. The specific problem I'm having is delayed recording time when a person is in range of the camera.

I have the "Motion Detection Test" setting at 100%, but when standing 14 feet away (without any physical obstructions in the viewing area), the camera will only begin recording after about 5 -7 seconds, once I begin moving my arms. The camera is pointed at my front door and the typical video result captures the person walking away or videos with no activity at all since the person has already walked away.

Is there another setting that will allow for a quicker motion detection recording response? Or Is the camera not working correctly? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

I would look at another location to install the camera.  If you take a snap shot of he area you are trying to cover and post it, we can help you with some installation ideas. 

silanah
Apprentice
Apprentice

Posting a pic of area as suggested is a good idea and you will undoubtedly get told to position camera so people arriving cross the field of view before arriving at the door, rather than head on to the camera.

A few other thoughts though that helped me. You mention using the Motion Detection Test at 100% in the app.  That's fine BUT be aware that when you finish that and select ARMED for that camera that you also need to EDIT the Armed mode. Choose Edit, then the Video Settings. The default camera motion detection is set to 50%.  So even though you used the Motion Detection setting at 100%, when you armed it, the default of 50% is used until you edit the Armed mode rule. Edit it and Save to keep the 100% (or whatever works in that area). 

The other thing that helped was reading the User Guide. Many people don't realize the User Guide is different from the paper Quick Start guide that comes with the cameras. Download the User Guide pdf from this site and read the section on how the Motion Detection works and things to consider when siting and creating rules.  Sometimes you can have the camera pointed (angled) in such a way that you are not getting the field of view that you might assume.  Also if you have the camera upside down on a mount and invert the image in the app, you also need to think a bit about how that affects the field of view for the motion detection sensor.

The User Guide is helpful. That said, even with optimal positioning, because this system is cloud-based you are always going to have a delay between motion detection, camera waking up, contacting cloud server via the base and gaining access and, finally, recording and sending stream to cloud.  

SrNET_ENG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Where you able to resolve the motion detection issue?