Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Detection & Recording Delay

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
BBeachAU
Follower
Follower

I have an Arlo wireless system. It's a few years old, but I have been trying for years to resolve this with no luck. I see that older forum threads talk about this.

The motion detection/recording is ridiculous and missing everything important. At the very top of the frame it will capture the slightest part of a car going past, however will not capture movement within the centre of the frame until a large object (my car) is exactly in the centre. This means that there is a lot happening that isn't captured or detected at all. I have maximum sensitivity on, meaning I get lots of recordings of cars going past (almost outside of the frame), but not really anything within the frame. I also have the cameras outside with no obstructions such as glass etc.

I've been hoping it is a firmware issue that Arlo will (one day) resolve, however I'm not feeling confident anymore given how much people talk about this delay, and how many years it has been going on.

Does anyone know if there are plans for Arlo to resolve this? I don't believe I can do anything more with settings/distance/location. 

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

PIR sensors all work the same way - motion must be across the FOV, not at the camera. There's an FAQ here on best camera positioning practices. Post screenshots of the camera(s) views for suggestions.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Also have found that with the cameras ( exp the original Arlo HD ) that placement is as important as sense level.

( I move one camera away from it's location and aimed it back to where it was to get good faces as they leave )

Remember that the orig Arlo camera maxs out to 20 ft or so for people , so don't cover more area than the sensor can detect.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------