Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Detection Stopped for 1 Camera

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Prolixium
Luminary
Luminary

Hi - 

I've had a 4-camera Arlo setup at my home for almost a year, now, and other than a quirk here or there has worked fairly well.  So, I purchased a 2-camera setup for my grandmother, but it's not working so well..

I installed 2 of the cameras outside for her and enabled motion for them using the default "Armed" rule.  They worked as expected for a few weeks but then one of them stopped recording when motion was detected.  I can still perform manual recordings but it refuses to detect any motion.  The other camera is still working fine and still detecting motion.

I've combed through the forums here and tried the following:

* Create a new custom mode and configure both cameras to record motion --> no change

* Delete the bad camera from the system and re-pair it, adding it again to the mode --> no change

* Take out & put back the batteries on said camera --> no change

* Restart base station --> no change

* Delete base station and re-add both cameras and re-configure mode --> no change

At this point, I'm thinking one of the following is the issue:

* The bad camera's serial number is "stuck" somehow in Arlo's cloud or has some bad data associated with it

* The motion detection hardware (separate than the camera itself) has gone bad, somehow

The only thing I can think of to solve either of the above problems is to blow $150 on a new camera and toss the old one.  The new camera will have a new serial number and won't be subject to the same "stuck" issue as the old one, or the new camera will actually have a functioning motion sensor.

I figure that NETGEAR support is not going to be helpful, since this is a consumer and not a commercial product, so I'm not going to waste my time going down that route.

Thoughts?  Is there a t-shooting step that I haven't tried?

Thanks!

- Mark

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd suspect a bad camera.  Had one myself several months ago and had to get an RMA.  Create a trouble ticket, jump through their hoops (you'll want to be physically present at the system) and get an RMA.  It's the only way.

Prolixium
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks, I'll give that route a try!

- Mark

Prolixium
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for the suggestion - we picked up a new camera and the motion detection now works.  I'm getting the bad camera shipped back to me so I'll see if I can fight with NETGEAR to have it replaced, but I'm going to add it to my account (as opposed to my grandmother's) first to see if it being on a different account makes any difference.

- Mark