Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
camCHLO
Star
Star

Hi,

So, it's a 12V system (4 of the 3V batteries). Now, as the batteries drain, we know that they are not putting out a full 12 volts; it begins to drop.

What is the minimal amount of volts that the camera requires to operate properly before it shuts off?

I'm doing some battery calculations on disposable versus rechargeable batteries.  Certainly the life of the batteries depend on home much action the camera gets. 

I know, a rather engineering type question. Thank you in adavance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Faengelm
Tutor
Tutor
They are parallel. Try inserting just two in the compartment near the front or rear

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

camCHLO wrote:So, it's a 12V system (4 of the 3V batteries). Now, as the batteries drain, we know that they are not putting out a full 12 volts; it begins to drop.

What is the minimal amount of volts that the camera requires to operate properly before it shuts off?

I'm doing some battery calculations on disposable versus rechargeable batteries.  Certainly the life of the batteries depend on home much action the camera gets. 

First of all, you you assume that the batteries are all in series and that prob isn't the case... more likely 2 sets of batteries in parallel.

As to doing calc on rechargable batteries... are you using the 3v rechargables or the 3.6-3.7v cells. ( not that it matters that much as the higher voltage batteries still have an X amount of drop before considered dead.. Ie the primary cells ar 3.2 v and prob dead after dropping to abit above 2.2v or a 1v drop while the rechargeable 3.7v cells start at about 4.2v but are also dead at about 3.5 or .7v drop. Mind that their drop out is different and rechargables drop out very suddenly )

Also, the life of the batteries depends on two things..1 ) current draw by the device and 2) mahr rating of the battery or how much can it put out for how long.

So, the short story is

1)get the highest rated rechargable cells ( I've had good luck with 16340 cells ) as most of these types have a less rating over the non-rechargable

2) put them in and run them for 5 mins per day and see how long they last...then test battery voltage right away

when dead recharge them and restart.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
camCHLO
Star
Star

Tom,

Any way to tell if it's 2 sets of batteries in parallel?  (Short of taking the camera apart?)

Anyone from NetGear care to disclose the fact surrounding this.

Thanks!

Faengelm
Tutor
Tutor
I believe it's actually a 6 volt system as the batteries are arranged in groups of two. You can check this yourself by inserting just two batteries in the battery compartment either near the front or rear..
Faengelm
Tutor
Tutor
They are parallel. Try inserting just two in the compartment near the front or rear
camCHLO
Star
Star

Just tried it, camera powers up! 6 volts it is and I prefer this to 12 volts.

Thanks!1

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

btw.. Currently on 3rd week, running 16340 / 123 cells.  ( 3.7v @ 2300mahr )

Have been running the camera every day for the alotted spec time and no problems to this point .

(Of course the battery indicator is incorrect  but it was stated to be as such cause the 3.7v cells are out of normal range)

Morse is faster than texting!