Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Maximum MicroSD size

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Jgoldman
Tutor
Tutor
According to tech support, the maximum size of a MicroSD card supported by the hub is 256 gB. The fact that they expect community trial and error and discussion to be the only way to know this is insane. I've seriously lost respect for this company and wouldnt buy again as this reflects terrible commitment to product and doesnt bode well to forward looking development.
5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jgoldman wrote:
According to tech support, the maximum size of a MicroSD card supported by the hub is 256 gB. 

I believe that is just the largest they tested.  There are certainly some folks using 512 GB.  But I think results for 1 TB and 2 TB are at best mixed (AFAIK no one has gotten 2 TB to work).

@Jgoldman wrote:
The fact that they expect community trial and error and discussion to be the only way to know this is insane.

I agree this should be documented - perhaps in a KB article.  @JamesC - could this info be added here? https://kb.arlo.com/1146857/How-do-I-set-up-local-storage-backups-using-my-Arlo-Base-Station-or-Smar...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is mentioned in the article posted above. The minimum is 16gb and the maximum is 2TB. While larger capacity cards may work, they aren't officially supported.

JamesC

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JamesC wrote:

This is mentioned in the article posted above. The minimum is 16gb and the maximum is 2TB.

Yes, it says that.  And it's clear that 2 TB USB storage works.

But I don't believe 1 TB  (or 2 TB if you can find them) microSD cards will actually work.  Some folks in the forum have tried and posted failure, but no one has ever posted success when this question has come up before.  So I am wondering if Arlo ever tested these sizes in the VMB5000 (or the Go 2).

If someone has tried these sizes with success, it would be good if they chimed in.

Jgoldman
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks James - Your response alludes to my problem - All documentation clearly states that up to 2 TB should work, but tech support is saying that 256 GB is the most for a microSD card. I'm not even sure if tech support knows that or just searched community forums to see what works. But pretty sure since Arlo does say 2 TB works, it should test/communicate if that is only for USB and if there is a separate limit for SD.

Jgoldman
Tutor
Tutor

Agree with your summary. If there is a lower limit for microSD than USB, Arlo should test and publish. They provide very specific information on what cards are accepted, so a bit insane that they don't provide an upper limit if one exists (and is different than their otherwise posted limit).

• VMB5000 accepts microSD cards, microSDHC, or microSDXC. Arlo recommends that you use a microSD card with a minimum of 16 GB capacity, Speed Class 10, UHS1, V10. The Arlo SmartHub supports up to class 10 UHS-3 V90 class microSD cards.