Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Maximum Height of Camera

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
AlexKrycek1970
Tutor
Tutor

Looking at the guides, the optimum height for installation of the Arlo wireless camera is 7ft. My concern would be that a thief could simply take it down.  Is there a maximum height the cameras can be installed? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

4 out of my 5 cameras are higher than 7 feet and they work fine.  I would not be concerned about mounting them too high.  The more they look down, the less likely the motion detection will be fooled by sunlight reflecting off of things.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's a few things at work here. You want it to be high enough to not be within reach as well as to have a sufficient downward angle to help prevent false triggers from cars or sun reflections. However, it's a wide angle lens so too far away makes identification even harder. Zooming helps but only to a point.

Some folks have used the 1/4-20 mount thread to attach the camera more securely. Some have even attached security cables so if a camera is knocked off or otherwise removed it's still attached at some level.

Your level of paranoia will dictate what's most important to you and how to solve any potential issues.

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

4 out of my 5 cameras are higher than 7 feet and they work fine.  I would not be concerned about mounting them too high.  The more they look down, the less likely the motion detection will be fooled by sunlight reflecting off of things.

Sa9aX11
Guide
Guide
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm not sure where you'd be detecting motion that would be useful for you.  Cars would likely trigger it while the sidewalk is kinda in the middle of view, making detection less likely than if it were near the edge. Unless the road and roadside sidewalk is important, I'd be angling it down and to the right as well as possibly moving it closer to the sidewalk/door.  Someone entering the FOV from the street should be walking across the FOV from the edge, making detection most likely.

AlexKrycek1970
Tutor
Tutor

Hi.  How high is the camera?

Great picture.

Sa9aX11
Guide
Guide

jguerdat wrote:

I'm not sure where you'd be detecting motion that would be useful for you.  Cars would likely trigger it while the sidewalk is kinda in the middle of view, making detection less likely than if it were near the edge. Unless the road and roadside sidewalk is important, I'd be angling it down and to the right as well as possibly moving it closer to the sidewalk/door.  Someone entering the FOV from the street should be walking across the FOV from the edge, making detection most likely.

It looks like the way I set it up (on the picture) its not detecting anything (trees, people or cars) even at 80% sensitivity, it looks like I need to move it closer to the footpath under the cables.

Night vision is terrible you see a round circle of dim light and the others areas are really dark, it looks it doesn't cover a wide area during the night.

Camera Night Mode

Sal.

Sa9aX11
Guide
Guide

AlexKrycek1970 wrote:

Hi.  How high is the camera?

Great picture.

Thanks, but Its too far or too high to detect objects, its placed under the roof gutter.

Sal.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sa9aX11 wrote:

Night vision is terrible you see a round circle of dim light and the others areas are really dark, it looks it doesn't cover a wide area during the night.

Since the camera is battery-powered, you really can't expect high-powered illumination.  Do a search an Amazon or Google - lots of choices for an external lighting source.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sa9aX11 wrote:

You may need some external flood light to really see more than 20+... ( esp on the edges where the IR falls off ).

But, there are many out there available on like Ebay, Amazon, etc... You want a flood in the 850 nm range do it operates with the Arlo camera.

BTW, the older Vuezone had a very nice external flood that work great with Arlo... also it had a photo senser to turn off in lighted conditions. ( remember you would need ac power source to run these )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------