Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

ChrisKay
Follower
Follower

Making this mandatory is an exceedingly bad idea since it will slow down authentication and when it breaks—and it occasionally will—it will prevent access completely.  At least give the end-user the option of deciding how much protection to require for the account.

609 REPLIES 609
Devearne3
Initiate
Initiate

Worst idea ever. Especially after all the problems I already had with Arlo. It took me 1 1/2 year to finally get rid of the no good batteries and then find cords that allowed my cameras to even work wired. Now This.

smartypants123
Guide
Guide
You just gave me a reason to hate Arlo. I don't need this time waster. I'm not concerned about security why force me to do this. I am scrapping plans to add more cameras now. I'll have to find another product that is more user friendly.
smartypants123
Guide
Guide
This is so dumb. The whole idea of having a camera system is to quickly log in when there is action to see what's happening in real time. Way to go... Make that take longer. So dumb.
foe
Initiate
Initiate

Looks like I'll be throwin' my base station and cameras in the trash by the end of this year. Google Nest, I'm comin' back!

dcfox1
Master
Master

Nest will be going to do it also if not already.  Same as  ring did earlier this year. 

Lucvdbr
Initiate
Initiate
Considering "Mandatory" 2fa is THE reason for me to look for other solutions. It could be the default config , protecting non technical People, but not forced.
gmbowden
Initiate
Initiate

Someone isn't aware of AviD's Rule of Usability:

"Security at the expense of usability, comes at the expense of security."

People will find workarounds that nullify all the security controls that they deem useless or complicated.  Whether that is through workarounds, hacks or simply no longer using/buying a particular brand of product.  Your choice Arlo.

RichB478
Initiate
Initiate

The second factor comes by text message so not sure why the app requires notifications to do two-factor.  This means I cannot use Arlo on any iOS device where I do not want receive camera notifications.  Am I missing something about why this is required? 

stevespalding1
Guide
Guide

I couldn't agree more. Two factor authentication is fine but I MUST be able to opt out. If they force this on their users, they  will have at least one less user. If I cant disable two factor authentication, then the product is of no use to me and I will have ended up wasting a great deal of money. Will Arlo be offering refunds to those who bought their products in good faith but have seen them made useless by their abitrary decisions regarding the manatory nature of two factor autentication? Probably not, so it will be the last Netgear / Arlo  product I buy.

dcfox1
Master
Master

I agree. a couple of months ago they made it mandatory for new customers but i read  it will go to all sometime by  the end of year. I can still disable it thankfully. 

knowlimits
Initiate
Initiate

I find the 2FA very annoying and I believe it should an optional feature that people can opt-out of if they wish to.  This is about personal choice and it shouldn't be forced on us as your customers.

kelehman
Initiate
Initiate

Please let the users keep this optional per account!  This will cause issues with my arlo workflow.

morganj48
Initiate
Initiate

Two Step Verification should definitely be an OPTION!  I don't have nor do I want to buy a smart phone or a cell phone of any kind, and add another monthly fee to my life.  I am a 72 year old Vietnam Vet who finds himself being shut out of society for not buying all the latest gadgets.  If not an option I'll have to shop for another security system.

ErnieArizona
Initiate
Initiate

I don't want two-step authentication.  I check recordings, turn cameras on/off, many times each day.  Please don't force this on me, it only creates more work and trouble and slows down any response I may want to initiate to what's appearing on my cameras.  You're going to require this?  Listen to your customers, I'm sure there are more than a few of us who don't want this requirement.

Tranceblast
Star
Star
When Arlo activate Two-step authentication by the end of the year I will definitely sell my cameras (if someone wants to buy them then) I'm already looking for another system.
pacohope
Initiate
Initiate

I have come to hate the ARLO system.  I've had it since the Arlo Pro came out.  Installation was fine, but what a pain in the rear to try to get help.  It is like Arlo is happy to take your money but doesn't want to talk to you, ever.  This 2-step process is just another step to me ripping out the cameras and THROWING them out - not even giving them away.

dcfox1
Master
Master

Ring already has for all and nest was going to it but not sure if they have yet so looks like no way around it. 

Maryjh
Guide
Guide

I am having the same problem. We can't just go to arlo anymore but must use the code each time. A constant problem if the code comes on my phone and my husband is home using the laptop. 

Maryjh
Guide
Guide

Yes, we must do it EVERYTIME if we use the laptop! I am not happy about this! 

Maryjh
Guide
Guide

Yes, we must do it EVERYTIME! I am not happy about this! How do you turn it off?

raowriter
Tutor
Tutor

If an alert wakes me at 3am, I don’t want to be messing round waiting for a code to arrive - and with some companies they take forever. I just want to see what’s happening instantly so I can take action. It may just be a cat or a rat cruising by, but if it’s someone up to no good, they could do some damage in the time it takes to log in and get a code.

Have you thought about the inherent risks to people and property using this insane system? Apparently not. So please start thinking it through now and make 2F optional.

andrewbnz
Tutor
Tutor

If 2FA becomes mandatory I will ditch Arlo. The way is is implemented is rubbish, I want to be able to QUICKLY check my cameras not muck around with 2FA. 

EOSJOE
Apprentice
Apprentice

What about folks who don't live day to day with their cell phone surgically attached to their hand?  I mostly use an iPad and PC for camera access. 

I used to see messages about flash going away at the end of 2020 every time I would access Arlo with my PC. But for some reason I don't see those anymore. Is flash still going away?  Will I still be able to access my camera system with my PC when it does?

I would like to add some more cameras but am hesitant to do so if Arlo is going to push out mandatory authentication options that is either going to make it painful to use or cause it to be unavailable on my main platform. No sense investing in more cameras if I'll be scrapping the whole system at some point.

EOSJOE
Apprentice
Apprentice

That is my situation. Three people in the house need to have access to the cameras and two of those people don't even own a cell phone. 

EOSJOE
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same here... and normally by the time I get logged in twice on the PC the event I needed to view is long over.