Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Major delay in Email alert

Discussion stats
Lillili
Aspirant
Aspirant
Lately, I receive the email alerts from arlo wireless 5-10 minutes to 4 hours after the actual recording happens. How can this get fixed?

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A cloud update has been deployed that should resolve this issue. Please let me know if you continue experiencing delayed content.

JamesC

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

There were some servers issues in the past day, maybe that was the cause.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Lillili,

I have tested this and was able to receive an email within just a few seconds of the recording arriving in the library. Are you still seeing this behavior?

JamesC

Lillili
Aspirant
Aspirant
I see a 2 minute delay now. If the batteries are low, do you think the delay is due to that?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I don't think so. The video has to be completely uploaded before the email is sent. I suppose low batteries could be an issue but overall network speed as well as server response times are more the issue. Some folks have posted the email headers which showed huge delays between the email being generated and the ISP email server receiving it. We don't know where the bottleneck was but something on the server side burped.
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Today there was as much as 25 minutes delay for push and also email notifications. What is going on? Are they playing around with servers all over the world, where is my server today? Drove out of my garage, went around for about 20 minutes and as I parked somewhere I got notification and email that my car triggered the driveway camera.

Paul

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's a question for Netgear and Amazon.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Paul_FCCL,

I have tested and did not see any delay with push/email notifications. Are you still seeing this delay?

JamesC

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

JamesC wrote:

Paul_FCCL,

I have tested and did not see any delay with push/email notifications. Are you still seeing this delay?

JamesC

James:

These things are difficult to test or replicate. They happen intermittently, from time to time and often only last for a short time. One can only notice it when it happens......but then it may not happen again for a long time.

I know there were some servers problems reported by many users over last couple of days, hopefully everything is now resolved.

Thanks.

Paul

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@JamesC, based on the email headers posted here, the issue is at the Amazon servers.  Once the emails get to the users' email servers, things progress normally.  Whether it's an Amazon server or network issue is unknown.

MarcusAlbertus
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, have you figured out a solution to the email delays?

For the past four days I have received push notifications on my phone immediately, but I do not receive an email and the videos are not available to be viewed until hours after the event.

Thanks!

jaysa
Guide
Guide
@MarcusAlbertus, I'm having the exact same problem.
manfredz
Hero
Hero

just tested it with couple of my cams.  Walked in front of cam.  Phone notification and posting of vid in a minute or so but 14 min for the email notification

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those experiencing this issue, can you confirm if you're seeing the same problem (delayed video content arriving in the library) on both web client and mobile app?

Are you still experiencing delays?

JamesC

Kashkin
Initiate
Initiate

I've been experiencing these same delays for the last week and a half.

1.  The delay video content is occurring in both web and mobile apps.

2.  Email notifications are arriving up to 6 hours late.

It's a bit frustrating for users to have to prove to you that there is a problem when a lot of people are obviously having this issue.

Can't Netgear compare the metadata creation time on the videos against the time the videos are posted/emails are sent ?  You must have access to tons of logs to follow this up with.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

if outside of the two (or possibly three) cloud outages, a whole lot of people were experiencing these delays, yes it should be easy to locate the proble.

But I, and, presumably, the majority of users, are not.   This makes feedback from those having issues important so they can try to find something they have in common.

Lillili
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am still experiencing the issue.......
mountains2sea
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem, delayed emails.  Sometimes 3-4 hours.  Different cameras.  Same base station.  Started several days ago.  had never happened before.  Not every notification, but some.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Open a case with support using the Contact Support link at the bottom here. More complaints raises the pressure.
Fawkesfire
Aspirant
Aspirant
I've had my Arlo for 10 days now and email alerts have been good enough. Today I'm watching 'Live' and have seen the car leave the garage 3 times with no alerts at all. This totally defeats the reason I bought this system and I live 3 hrs away from the base station
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
When you're live viewing, motion detection and recording are disabled. You can manually record, however. This is normal operation.
Fawkesfire
Aspirant
Aspirant
I was live viewing because it was obvious that motion detection wasn't picking up. I live 3 hrs from the base and advised my dads caregiver to reboot the base. The unit has been working fine for 10 days and the camera has not been moved. Whatever is happening is happening without interference. Prior to today I have been getting alerts, emails just fine
Fawkesfire
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have not been live viewing for past 2 hrs.
Base has been rebooted. Just live viewed and car is gone, garage door has been up and down, and nothing in alerts email or library. It worked without a blink for first 10 days.....and not now. Batteries are 75%. Ready to take this system back to Costco
MarcusAlbertus
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thought my issue was fixed last week since the emails and video postings went back to appearing immediately, but then Friday hit and I have gone back to a two or more hour delay on notifications. I sent a request for support to Netgear, but they don't seem to want to help and blame my Internet (which included a completely inappropriate question about how much I pay for internet). There seems to be no ownership that there might be a system issue.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have escalated this issue as described above. I will post an update when I have more information.

JamesC