Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
kniel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Over the last 2 weeks or so I have lost 3 of my 10 cameras due to failing to sync. The problem seems to start when the cameras lose connection to the base. This is happing with all of my cameras at intermittent times for no apparent reason. Initially, this is an easy fix by simply opening and closing the battery door (If I am home and willing to run all over the property to reset cameras.) However, eventually that does not cure the problem. 3 of my cameras will no longer sync, Either I get an endless blue blinking LED or, the blinking will not even start. I am guessing that I am not the only one experiencing problems. I suspect this is due to the latest firmware upgrade. I have been using this system for nearly 2 years so I am well aware of and have tried all of the usual fixes. I am quite sure that Netgear is aware of this issue and I suggest that they restore to a previous version and fire the architect of the latest version. I have submitted a ticket and the response I received suggested that I send them jpgs of my pink cameras, which by the way is also a problem. They made no mention of my failed cameras which is the real problem.

19 REPLIES 19
kniel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Correction. as of tonight I am now down 6 total cameras. 4 of 10 came back up after a restart. 

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Are your base and cameras running the latest frimware?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes

kniel
Aspirant
Aspirant

All working cameras on 1.2.11810

kniel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Base showing 1.8.9.1_13442

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Looks like you are up to date.

Have you tried power cycling the base?

If it's one or two cameras in particular doing this try and change locations with another camera to see if the problem is camera or location related.

kniel
Aspirant
Aspirant

To my knowledge, Netgear does not allow you to update firmware manually. It is supposed to be an automated process at rollout date.

kniel
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have tried repositioning and renaming cameras and I have tried moving the base. I have rebooted several times both hard and soft. I have tried removing cameras and readding them. I have tried cursing and prayer, not necessarily in that order.

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Yes, you are correct about the software. Sometimes however the update fails. I just wanted to make sure you were up to date.

Looks like you have tried almost everything I would.

I am tagging @JamesC who can perhaps try and see what else can be done.

kniel
Aspirant
Aspirant

This system is supposed to be looking after lots of valuable items including my wife. Does anyone know of a more relilable wireless system that is willing to back their product? I know it is unlikely that you can offer a suggestion here as this message board is likely monitored but it is worth a shot. I am willing to cut my losses with Netgear and move on to something else.

kniel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Moving forward I will give an exact play by play of what is happening. I currently now have 6 of 10 active cameras. 2 of the 8 remaining cameras are showing off line/contact support. I have 2 more cameras that are currently removed from the system. For the sake of nomenclature, I will refer to the most recent failure as cam 1. Cam 1 has not yet been removed from the system. 

Cam 1. Insert new batteries.

Cam 1. Blue LED showing acceptance of new batteries.

Cam 1, press and release Base station sync button. (2 solid green, 1 flashing green as expected.)

Cam 1. press and release sync button on camera. flashing blue LED as expected.

Cam 1, Base lights return to solid. 

Cam 1. Blue LED continues to flash indefinably.

This is scenario #1

kniel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Cam 2. Known working camera that is not recording. 

Cam 2. No indication of offline.

Cam 2. open and close battery door.

Cam 2 reset successful. However, my experience suggests that this is the beginning of camera

failure. 

Scenario #2

kniel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Cam 1. Reset eventually successful.

Cam 1. recorded 2 17 second sessions back to back then went to offline. 

kniel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Cam 1. Stuck in always on IR record. Although no new video is indicated. Red IR lights are on. 

kniel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Cam 1. Fresh batteries again.

Cam 1. Blue LED accepting new batteries.

Cam 1. briefly press base sync button.

Cam 1. 2 solid green, 1 flashing green on base station.

Cam 1. resync successful.

kniel
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK 7 of 8 back on line. 2 still DOA

Cam 3. not yet removed from system.

Cam 3. showing off line

Cam 3. open and close battery door. No response.

Cam 3. attempt to resync.

Cam 3. Fresh batteries

Cam 3, reset attempt

Cam 3. Endless blue LED.

kniel
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is the kind of BS I deal with every night and every morning just to keep a portion of this junk running. 

DO NOT BUY ARLO!!!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

kniel,

It sounds like you could be experiencing a hardware issue. I encourage you to continue working with the support team through your open support ticket to arrive at a resolution. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

JamesC

co2sam
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having similar issues.  Cameras lose sync all the time.  I've even tried scanning the wifi frequency, deteremined that my main network was on the same frequency channel, and had my network admin change the channel on our in-house router so that ARLO would be the only thing on channel 6.  Even this has not helped a tiny bit.  It seems that ARLO is prone to these issues, and there is no way to get any help for it.

Streak2
Master Master
Master

How close is the Arlo base to your wifi router?

If it's really close try and use a longer Ethernet cable to move it a little further away.

This has been known to help others with a similar problem.