Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Live mode shuts down after 12 minutes

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Nutmeggin
Tutor
Tutor

I am not sure if I posted this correctly.  It seems this is a camera and app issue. I looked in the questions and answers and didn't see this particular issue addressed.

Is there a way to keep the app/camera on continuously  in live view mode?  I have my iPad in front of me and have to keep putting it back on live view as it shuts off after 11-12 minutes.  I don't want to record, I just want to view live what is going on. I have other cameras that plug in and have their own designated monitors not through my router as Arlo is.  For the situation I bought  Arlo for I really need to have instant view of what is going on live outside where we have them.  To get live view can take up to a minute or more to come on.  Please don't be technical in answers....I am not savvy in the lingo. I get concepts, but I glaze over and lose consciousness if any technical words are used. Smiley Wink

The answer is a huge deciding factor as to whether we are going to keep the system or not. If we can't stay in live viewing it won't suit our purposes.  Where the camera is we need wireless as there is  no electricity out there. 

Thanks much for any help.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Nutmeggin wrote:

Is there a way to keep the app/camera on continuously  in live view mode?  I have my iPad in front of me and have to keep putting it back on live view as it shuts off after 11-12 minutes.  I don't want to record, I just want to view live what is going on. I have other cameras that plug in and have their own designated monitors not through my router as Arlo is.  For the situation I bought  Arlo for I really need to have instant view of what is going on live outside where we have them.  To get live view can take up to a minute or more to come on.  Please don't be technical in answers....I am not savvy in the lingo. I get concepts, but I glaze over and lose consciousness if any technical words are used. Smiley Wink

I've never used LIve View this long, so I can't tell you. I've read of people saying Live View will terminate after 30 minutes, but not 10 or 11. Perhaps, try recording at the same time and see if it lasts longer. When you start Live View tap on the the icon that is a circle with a dot inside, that will start a video clip and save it to your library at the same time.

Other than that, I don't think Arlo is built for Live View of that duration on a regular basis. You'd have to replace batteries within a few days to a week, depending on how often you use LIve View. If you don't mind replacing batteries on a weekly basis, then I guess it's fine.

What is your reason for insisting on using extended Live View? If it's because of delayed recording after motion detection, consider using a two-camera setup, where one camera acts as a trigger for the second camera. The first camera is placed such that it triggers before a potential intruder gets into the field of view of the second camera. I have illustrated such a setup recently in a posting in the Caught in the Act subforum.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Nutmeggin wrote:

I've never used LIve View this long, so I can't tell you. I've read of people saying Live View will terminate after 30 minutes, but not 10 or 11. Perhaps, try recording at the same time and see if it lasts longer. When you start Live View tap on the the icon that is a circle with a dot inside, that will start a video clip and save it to your library at the same time.

Other than that, I don't think Arlo is built for Live View of that duration on a regular basis. You'd have to replace batteries within a few days to a week, depending on how often you use LIve View. If you don't mind replacing batteries on a weekly basis, then I guess it's fine.

What is your reason for insisting on using extended Live View? If it's because of delayed recording after motion detection, consider using a two-camera setup, where one camera acts as a trigger for the second camera. The first camera is placed such that it triggers before a potential intruder gets into the field of view of the second camera. I have illustrated such a setup recently in a posting in the Caught in the Act subforum.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Agreed.  The wireless cameras were never capable of long-term viewing since it runs off batteries. Spec usage is 4 minutes per day to get ~4 months' life out of the batteries.

The Q camera is powered and would be a much better choice for extended viewing.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

On the PC, the camera will time out at about 30 mins from live view

Are you sure it's not the Ipad that is shutting down at the 12 mis mark???  My ipad default settings is about that , if not touched it goes back to sleep.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Nutmeggin
Tutor
Tutor

We have troubles across the road and really need live view.  Being there is no electricity out there, wireless is our only option.  I've not seen anything other than Arlo for this.  Maybe mine is malfunctioning since it shuts off after 10-12 minutes.   It is being exchanged this morning anyway since it has gone bright pink and I saw others had this happen and the solution was to return.  Our Arlo is only 7 days old...I think we got a pink lemon.  I inserted a photo so you can see where the camera is located.....it is amazing that it picks up that far from the base so that is impressive! Also I used my morning pink photo... It is pretty! 

thanks for the responses.... I honestly hadn't considered battery for viewing....image.jpeg

Nutmeggin
Tutor
Tutor

not the iPad shutting down.  I have those settings changed to be extended.  Good idea though.  This camera is having issues.  We've only had it 7 days.... It's now pink and won't change back...so it is going back.  Thanks for the thought of the iPad though...

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Nice color... Yes, its prob the IR filter stuck.

On another thought re your location and don't know how much room you have there and or how obivious you want the camera to appear...

I might consider a mod of an arlo to where it was fed by a 6v gell cell of at least 4 ahr... that would give you 3x the life of the oem cells ( 1.5 ahr ) and mostly solve the power problem.  It would allow alot more viewing   ....   It would  still have to be charged now and then but easy thing esp if you have two for switching..

And if really adventurous and had some minor electronic skills or know someone who did, I 'd mount the camera in/on a box and add the battery and throw a small solar charging cell on top. Do once and basicly forget it

Good luck

( there have been threads on this )

Nutmeggin
Tutor
Tutor

oh Tom....you did it...you used technical terms and I lost consciousness 😳

I did however think of the solar powered idea before for another set of cameras I have on our property.  It just seemed too much cost for very little gain....from what I found anyway.    We ended up running temp electricity via outdoor extension cords till we can have a electrician out to run it out there so we can plug them in.  Until we see what works where why spend the money.  Arlo is our only option for the end of the driveway though. 

As far as threads being posted about this? Is that a tag line or was it in reference to this question....I searched quite a bit changing wording several times and nothing showed up. 

Thanks for the ideas...wish I knew what they all meant 😜 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Thanks for the ideas...wish I knew what they all meant 

Hope your back and well again....

Ok... talk to the electrician , he know what to do if you tell him what you want   🙂

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Exterior-Solar-Panel-with-rechargeable-batterie...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Wire-Free-camera/Easy-to-take-camera-apart-and-solder-leads-to...

Nutmeggin
Tutor
Tutor

Tom

slight concussion....but am ok now 😉

Electricity is the one area I just am not comfortable messing with.  Thanks for the links, I will def check those out.

Oh and the idea of the two cameras so one alerts the other..so to speak. Something to consider for the future should things change with needing to catch someone down at the end of the drive.  We did have packages stolen a year ago.... 

On the other issue of something simply being wrong with the last Arlo - it most definitely was defective.  We have the new one going and the video is so clear compared to the first one!   Glad it went pink, otherwise we may have not known how defective it was. 

Tuffram73
Aspirant
Aspirant

I payed $449.99 For this system. I am very disapointed of this system. This is not a bang for the buck. I have to restart the system everytim it shutes down. Runs for 12 mins., then gone. I am about to send them back.

Nutmeggin
Tutor
Tutor

Hello Tuffram73..... I have learned quite a bit about Arlo...and am still figuring stuff out.  It was my misunderstanding or assumption when purchasing this that it would be like my other cameras and would be a live view.  I wasn't sure it would work for my purpose, but I have come to love my Arlo.  It has some shortcomings, but it is a good "wireless" camera.   If you bought it to have a 24/7 live view then this isn't the system for you... There are no other "wireless" cameras out there that I have found.   Even this system isn't really wireless.  I hope you can find what you are looking for...you are right $500 is a lot if it doesn't do what you want.  Good luck in your search or working with your Arlo.  Arlo can be sensitive about positioning etc...and it takes time to find just the right positions for every camera for them to work together well.