Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Live Feed Problem

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
tedboz
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have an Arlo comected to base station and when I try to get a live feed (which is the only reason I bought it - front porch) it seldom works - most of the time I get a message "the connection to the media server has timed out" - very frustrating
15 REPLIES 15
tedboz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Additional info - base station firmware 1.8.1.1_10234 Camera 1.2.10342. I have restarted both devices and still have issue. Arlo Q continues to work without issue but does not connect to base station.
JohnnyFRX
Luminary
Luminary

As far as troubleshooting goes...start with the pysical parts first. All cables connecting base to router etc...new and stable?

You would be amazed how much grief a flaky network cable can cause.

Do you have another router to test on?

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do a speed test and post the results. Wondering what your speeds are for your home network.

tedboz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do not have another router.  The Netgear router I have (dual band and connected to lower band) has worked fine for about a year - no issues.  Also - no issues with Arlo Q connected direct to router wirelessly.  All cables are new and all hardware has been re-booted.  I have seen other posts about this issue as well.  Also - it worked fine for a few days then does not work.  Wonder if they messed things up with a buggy firmware update.

JohnnyFRX
Luminary
Luminary

Netgear has been slammed over the last 2 weeks for a major security hole. I have a netgear router as well.

https://www.ghacks.net/2016/12/21/netgear-releases-first-final-firmware-updates-for-router-security-...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tedboz,

How strong is the WiFi connection between the base station and the camera? It could be an interference related issue, consider (temporarily) relocating the camera closer to the base station and try again to further isolate the issue.

JamesC

tedboz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem when cam is sitting right next to base.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
What are your transfer rates as measured by speedtest.net? Upload could be slow. Might also be a bad camera.
tedboz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just returned to Amazon for a replacement will see what happens white that one!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
That was going to be my next suggestion.
dlescal
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having the same issue.  It started over the Holiday week.  One day all 10 cameras (1 Q, 9 wireless) are working fine, the next day ALL wireless are offline.  Tried to sync, cannot.  restarted a few times, didn't work.  Rebooted router, doesn't work.  Occassionally shows the status as connected but as soon as I click Live View, it says it cannot connect to server, or has a timeout error, or often all cameras will just jump to show offline again.  

I spent 2 hours working with Netgear support.  I have a brand new Orbi setup and this all worked together for 2 months.  After 2 hours, they thought it might be an issue with the Orbi, so I replaced it.  Whallah....things worked....for a few hours.  I could add a camera (still haven't gotten them all synced again yet) and even stream video.  Overnight, things stopped working.  

WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!??????

We have known working equipment.  I replaced the router and satellite.  I used a brand new basestation that I wasn't using....no change.  I get consistent 150MB/s down and 10-11MB up.  I have STRONG signal everywhere.  This ALL worked together prior, and I simply cannot find what is changing to stop this from working.  HELP!!!!!!!!!  9 USELESS cameras now....

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

dlescal,

What color is the internet LED on the base station when you experience this behavior (Green, Amber, Unlit)?

Do you see the same behavior when trying to view the camera from different devices (PC, phone, tablet etc.)?

JamesC

dlescal
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi James.

I have solid green lights, 3 when cameras are connected even for a short time. Otherwise, 2 solid green.

I get the same result from my iphone as well as my computer (iMac) using different browsers, from my Win10 PC and both inside my network on wifi as well as on cellular signal.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

dlescal,

If you have 2 solid green LEDs (you don't mention which LED is unlit) it could mean the cameras are losing connection with your base station (assuming the camera LED is unlit) due to a signal issue.

This could be due to WiFi interference. Are there other wireless devices near the base station that could be causing interference (routers, baby monitors, etc.)? One way to further isolate would be to relocate the base station as far as possible from any other sources of WiFi to see if you get the same behavior.

JamesC

dlescal
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey James,

When I'm down to 2 lights it's the camera light (middle one) that goes out. It's definitely he cameras losing connectivity to the base. The only Wi-Fi device that's near it is the router, but that was there for two months without an issue. The only other thing I'm noticing is that there are more SSIDs being broadcasted in my neighborhood… I'm guessing people got new routers for Christmas? I live on a half acre lot, and wouldn't think adjacent homes could broadcast something so strong that it would interfere with the camera sitting in the same room as the base station though. I will try moving the base station away from the router just for the heck of it.