Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Like to add another camera. Buy older model or newer model? Will it work with my older Base Station?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Aubs
Follower
Follower

My kit is 6-7 years old, 3 cameras 'possibly' the VMC3030's. I would like to add another camera (just moved house). Do I buy the older model again or can I buy a newer camera model? Will it work on my older base station? Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Arlo HD cameras ( 4 - 123 cells ) and the 3000 base will support the Pro /Pro2.

Tho if buying you may want to get a newer camera and base ( 4000 ) too as the newer base allows the usb port to use a mem stick for local recording backups of library.  ( and a siren on the 4000 model too )

You can run up to 5 cameras total and remain on the free account you have now.... If you buy any of the newer cameras they require a paid subscription.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
MarianneDuarte
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I'd appreciate your guidance on which camera should I get to add as the fifth camera for my Base Station VMB3010r2, firmware 1.16.5.7_1010_e1af04c? My internet's speed is 15 Mbps. At the moment I have four H7 cameras connected to this base station and all work perfect. What's an Arlo H7 camera? Is H7 the same as Arlo Pro, or Arlo Pro 2? If so, where can I buy an Arlo Pro or Pro 2, as Arlo's website doesn't carry them?  If out of stock, which Arlo cam works best for me then? Is Arlo Ultra 2 or Arlo Pro 3 compatible? The more I research the confuser I get. I am confused and lost regarding which Arlo security camera is best. Thanks!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MarianneDuarte wrote:

At the moment I have four H7 cameras connected to this base station and all work perfect. What's an Arlo H7 camera? Is H7 the same as Arlo Pro, or Arlo Pro 2? 

Unfortunately the H7 (and other hardware versions) don't give much useful information, as Arlo doesn't provide any "decoder ring" to translate those labels into camera models.  They really should just tell you the camera model in the web ui.

The original Arlo WireFree cameras use 4 CR123 batteries.  I suspect that is what you have.

The Pro and the Pro 2 use rectangular lithium batteries,  You can distinguish the Pro from the Pro 2 using the picture below:

arlo-pro-vs-arlo-pro-2-1.jpg

@MarianneDuarte wrote:

The more I research the confuser I get. I am confused and lost regarding which Arlo security camera is best. Thanks!

I doubt you'll find any Arlo Pros out there anymore.  You might still be able to find a Pro 2 at some sites (amazon perhaps).  The Pro is 720p, the Pro 2 is 1080p.

One benefit of the Pro 2 is that you can use it without a paid subscription.  Anything newer (Pro 3, Pro 4, Ultra, Essential) will require a subscription.  A second benefit is that you can use it with your existing base station.  Anything newer will require a new base, or be directly connected to your home wifi.

Cameras that can be directly connected to your wifi are the Essential cameras, the Pro 4s, and the Pro 3 Floodlights (but not the original Pro 3s).

You can check the base station options out here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/What-is-the-difference-between-each-Arlo-SmartHub-and-base-station

Other differences:

• The essential cameras are 1080p (1920x1080), and do not have a replaceable battery.  Some have a spotlight that allows them to capture color videos at night.  Others can only use nightvision.
  • The Pro 3 and Pro 4 cameras are 2K (2560x1440), and do have a replaceable battery.  All have a spotlight.
  • The Ultra/Ultra2 are 4K (3840x2160) and have a replaceable battery.  All have a spotlight.  You need an Elite subscription to get 4K recordings.
  • The Pro 3 Floodlight has a much larger light, that is suitable for illuminating a much larger area.
  • Some Pro 3/Pro 4/Ultra models are denoted at "XL".  These are larger, and have significantly more battery capacity.  You can also upgrade Pro 3/Pro 4/Ultras to XL by buying an accessory kit.