Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
kso
Initiate
Initiate

When I try to play videos from my library, it just shows a still frame and not a video. I had been having this problem since I got my iPhone XS and finally when iOS 12.1 came out on October 30th and I downloaded it, the issue was resolved. However, suddenly tonight on November 1st, the issue is back. The videos do play correctly on a desktop/laptop, but this is not relastic to use since I am mostly concerned with monitoring my home when I am away. I have 5 Arlo Wire Free (the original) cameras and all camera videos are affected.

I am seriously at my wits end with the issues from Arlo. For this expensive of a product, and one that is advertised for security, the cameras should function as advertised.

42 REPLIES 42
pK206
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a Arlo Pro 2 one camera system. And i am using a Iphone x on AT&T network with Comcast internet at home. When i open the Arlo App on my iphone to watch live view the video freezes, but for some reason live view works 100% on my PC desktop at home and on my work PC desktop. After paying nearly 400.00 for the system live view is important to me when im on the go. The live view feature use to work a bit better until the last firmware update. I even tried it on my ipad pro and it has the same issues with live view. My iphone and ipad are always updated with the lastest IOS updates. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the app with no luck. Please help

Coco83
Guide
Guide

Just updated iPhone XS and Arlo app so have the latest updates available installed.  Still having problems viewing videos in library with Alro Pro 2 cameras.  The video has a 2-3 second delay before it starts moving.  It freezes in that 2-3 seconds so I can hear something going on but can’t see it video.   I have 4 x Arlo Pro 2 cameras and 1 x Arlo Pro camera the problem is with the 4 x Pro 2 cameras only.  The 1 Arlo Pro camera is working fine.  We have an iPhone 6s, 7 and XS also iPad 4, iPad Air and iPad Pro and everything works fine on all phones and iPads except the iPhone XS.  The XS is the only freezing with the start of the video when played in the library.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @pK206,

What iOS version are you running on your device? Does this issue happen on both WiFi and cellular data?

pK206
Aspirant
Aspirant
It has the problem on cellular and WiFi and I’m running iOS 12.1
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @Coco83,

What iOS version are you running on your iPhone XS? Have you tried to reinstall the app? And are you experiencing this issue on both WiFi and cellular data?

Coco83
Guide
Guide
  • I am running iOS 12.1 the latest update.  Both WiFi and cellular data is a problem with freezing only on Arlo Pro 2 cameras.  Works fine on Arlo Pro camera. Updated Arlo App to ladtest version and works fine on all other iPads and iPhones in the house. Only problem is with iPhone XS.
Firepro
Aspirant
Aspirant

My cameras stops recording live through the iphone app when i quit the iphone screen. Can i not let the cameras record an hour or so until i stop them manually?

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @Firepro,

It is recommended to have the Arlo app running on the background to ensure you are receiving notifications. Are you force quitting the app? 

You can also set recordings through "Mode" but setting a schedule or choosing the length of the recordings.

Hossy
Aspirant
Aspirant
Since I’ve had an iPhone XS Max and after the latest Arlo app update, when I try to play any video recorded in my library from a regular Arlo camera, it only shows a single image throughout the whole playback. It is unique to my device, as my wife’s iPhone X has no issue playing back the very same video within the library and the very same version of the app.

I can, however, view playback of any videos recorded from my Arlo Pro cameras and the Arlo wired cameras.

Please help!
Firepro
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi!

Although I have the app running in the background, the recording stops when the phone's screen saver is activated.

BrennanV
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m suffering from the same ridiculous problem. What good is a security camera that sends you snapshots instead of video? We’ seriously considering not expanding the current Arlo system, and moving to Ring or a Nest product. NetGear continues to blow it.

JTo
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the exact same problem with playback ever since I upgraded and bought a new iPhoneXS.

In addition geofencing doesn’t work when I have it associated to a schedule.

All started happening with the upgrade and use of new iPhone
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Have you tried to uninstall the app, restart your phone, and reinstall the app and see if that fixes the issue to have it keep recording? What iPhone and iOS are you running?

Firepro
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes i have done that now, it dident make any differens 😔. .
I have an iPhone X with ios 12.1
georgekithas
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have same issue with iPhone XS Max with iOS version 12.1

NotNowYou
Aspirant
Aspirant

1) My Arlo is only showing me one video per login.  I can see all the still frames, but if I want to see more than one video, I have to recycle and log in again.  very time consuming.  I am useing an older Mac Pro laptop, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

2) Also, some of my cameras are refusing to show any video even with logging in again, batteries are low on those cameras, wondering if that's why.

3) And the police were just here to see something I'd seen on my camera and I couldn't even show them video from one of my 5 cameras.  And one of the cameras didn't even show the police leaving even though they walked right by it.  

Cesar702
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also am having the same problem. Currently on the iPhone XS Max iOS v12.1 and library only shows still images instead of a video. I’ve tried loggin in on my old iPhone (iPhone 8 v12.1) and it seems to work perfect. Seems to me that is has to do with the XS Max versions of the phones.

BrennanV
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m on the same phone. Agreed it’s likely a problem with the Max. I hope it’s resolved soon.

kso
Initiate
Initiate

I reinstalled the app which did not immediately fix the issue, but then I restarted my phone and the videos are playing again. I can’t understand why it would have worked initially, and then stopped working, and then a restart fixed it, though. Come on, Arlo! Wtf.

DebiR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Allow iPads and iPhones to not only play live audio but stream live video too. Worked prior to the latest update and we miss that important key selling feature! Very disappointing to have it eliminated.

Arlord
Star
Star

Hello. Videos are no longer playing on the app. Recording is working. When i got to my PC i can see the full vid clips but they are not playing on the IOS app vesion 2.6.1

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

To everyone who is having problems with live streaming on iPhone X/XS/XS Max, could you answer the following questions:

• What iOS version are you running on your iPhone?
  • What Arlo app version are you running?
  • What iPhone device model are you on?
  • Which Arlo products are you having trouble live viewing?

If you also have a screenshot to show the problem that you are experiencing, please include the screenshot too.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

NotNowYou,

Have you tried to log in and view your library from the Arlo Mobile App? Does the app have the same issue as your Mackbook Pro?

georgekithas,

Have you made sure your Arlo Mobile App is up to date?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

BrennanV,

What device and OS are you using when you experience this issue?