Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
asvan1w
Guide
Guide

So level 2 support finally got my setup working via a reset not described in this forum or in the FAQs.  Only took 3 weeks to get through the level 1 folks who had no clue to Level 2 who needed to sign into my s ystem, find out for themselves that I was set up just fine and that indeed the problem was with their base station.  But that's solved/

So now I'm experiencing the following.  When motion is detected, my camera is working and communicating to the base.  Then the system send me a notification on my iPhone and an email to my computer.  Though the notification to my iPhone is current and the email to my computer is dated currently (as in today 2/3/2017 12:30:10) the text in both communications refer to activity of more than a week ago (currently the system seems to think that it is Jan 26, 2017 and that it is 05:00.)  That said, when I go to "Library" for today or for Jan 26th, there is nothing in the library.  My first thought was since I have the "basic" plan, that I might have reached my 1 gig limit.  So I went back through all the days on the library and did 'select all', 'delete' for those days that had images.  So I have a clean library and still the dates and time are off and even the wrongly dated images are not being stored in the library.  I cannot find anything in settings that would allow me to update/correct system date and times nor can I see some setting that needs to be toggled such that images which are contained in the emails or phone notifications get stored in the library.

I am hoping, no praying, that I don't have to go back to level 1 support for more weeks of no service and that someone here on the forum might have some constructive suggestions.  In short, I'm getting contemporaneous notifications of motion/camera over 2 platforms yet both platforms are showing incorrect dates and times and both platforms are show zero storage in the library.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Date issues are sometimes resolved by power cycling the base. Also, do any devices show the need for a firmware update?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Date issues are sometimes resolved by power cycling the base. Also, do any devices show the need for a firmware update?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
BTW, what was the nonstandard reset process?
asvan1w
Guide
Guide

Thank you for the comeback.  Based on all the problems I've had with this setup, it was with great fear that I tried your solution to turn the base off and back on again.  I was nervous that it would take another 3 weeks plust of customer no support to get to level 2 and get it working again!  But I did what you suggested and the messages that motion was detected are now correctly date and time stamped.  Thank you.  They are also now showing up in the Library.  Any guess as to how often this system goes "rogue"?  I will be gone for a month or two at a time and the system is worthless if doesn't perform reliably.  My impression so far is that ARLO is not yet ready for prime time.

Re "non standard" reset.  My manual (such as it is) that came with this system a couple of months ago said to reset one pushed the reset button while holidng the sync button.  This forum informed me that non prime time ARLO changed the procedure without an update to their 'manual' and without inserting and errata sheet either in the package or even online.  Shame when a customer based forum is needed to pass on company procedures.  Anyway, nono of that worked.  What did finally work, after weeks of dealing with overpaid, underknowledged Level 1 Customer NoSupport and finally getting to Level 2 was this.  The Support person was signed into my computer (not sure if that was any part of the solution cause he was flipping around screens so fast that I couldn't follow) and when he was satisfied that my computer setup was OK, he had me depress the reset button for a full 60 seconds - he was timing it - and then immediately thereafter he had me pull the power plug and then replug it in.  Voila!!!  What took weeks of frustrating back and forth with a series of dummies, was solved in 65 seconds.

Question for you.  You stated "Also, do any devices show the need for a firmware update? "  How do thes devices exhibit this need?  Do I wait for a message?  Do they start flashing lights and ringing bells?  How will I know and when I do know, how do I get the update.  I don't see anything on my computer or phone screens tohave the base link to some update center.  TIA

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I agree - the documentation is long past due to be updated.  The current (for the past year plus) process is to use ONLY the reset button until the LEDs flash amber - about 10 seconds.  I don't know what the extra time does but it may activate something else that we haven't been told about.

Firmware updates can be detected by a message on any device shown on the Devices tab or by using Settings, My Devices, your various devices and looking for a red triangle.  Lack of any of this implies up-to-date firmware but you can always check the Firmware forum for announcements.

asvan1w
Guide
Guide

Thank you for your info re updates.  Apparently I'm up to date so that's good.