Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
falconT70
Tutor
Tutor

Many times (I'd say even most times) pressing the Live button results with Please wait... for a very long time (I usually give up waiting after 30-40 seconds of waiting). At the times where it does start playing eventually there could be a lag of anywhere between 10 to 30 seconds from when something happens in front of the camera to when I see it on the screen. Same experience with both Android phone and web viewing.

Any suggestions (other than get the camera closer to the base station because this is many times not practical and probably not the reason)?

Thanks,

Tom

12 REPLIES 12
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Unfortunately, I've found the camera - base distance is what makes the difference. I think the camera starts sending video but because the comms is slow, it doesn't start playing so it can build up a buffer.

I only have one camera that doesn't have full bars of reception and it is definitely the slowest to start showing live video

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

To make a long story short... it could be as simple as changing device or browser...

Many times I've seen a diif between the different browser and flash.

Another factor could be your up / down data tranfers rate...it can also be at the far end.

There are a few variables... can't really say why.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
falconT70
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks steve_t but I have 4 cameras and it happens randomly with all 4. Even the one that is in the next room from the base station.

--Tom

Lilly008
Tutor
Tutor

they are probably defective 

falconT70
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks TomMac, but I see this problem randomly with different browsers (Chrome on Android, FireFox/Chrome on Linux) so I don't think a specific browser is at fault. I don't think it's a faulty device wither because it happens randomly with all my four devices.

My Internet connection's speed is 25 Mbps download /5 Mbps upload. Should be enough for the <1M resolution of the camera.

--Tomer

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Haven't the Netgear servers been having a few issues lately too?

falconT70
Tutor
Tutor

Also just remembered that I simetimes see the exact same lag and timeout issues when I try to see the status (armed, disarmed) of my system from my Android phone (under the Mode tab). This is definitely not an Internet bandwidth issue, nor a specific camera problem.

--Tom

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

steve_t, falconT70

No server issues that I am aware of...I have tested this using the Android app and was able to live view after approximately 8-10 seconds.

There are several factors that could cause increased time to launch a live stream. Your data connection and the cameras connection to the base station being a couple things to take a look at.

What kind of signal strength do your cameras have? Are there any wireless devices between the cameras and the base station or nearby that could be causing wireless interference?

You also mention you notice this when changing modes. When was the last time the base station was rebooted (using the on-off button)? Consider rebooting the base station, allow it to come back online with a solid green power and internet LED and try again. Do you see the same results?

JamesC

falconT70
Tutor
Tutor
Almost 4 months later and the situation went from bad to worse. Rarely I can connect to my system remotely. I'd say that 3 out of 4 attempt to arm/disarm my system or to watch videos are unsuccessful (either get a time out or it says that the system is offline). My Internet connection is fine because I can access my smart thermostat at home remotely with no issues. This makes the system totally unusable and useless. This Arlo is a waste of money 😞
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Lilly008
Tutor
Tutor

maybe is defective?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

falconT70,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC