Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Keep getting this "Geofencing needs an internet connection..."

tmorris9
Tutor
Tutor

The ful message is "Geofenceng needs an internet connection. Open the Arlo app when your connection becomes available."

I have used the Geofencing since I got the camera about 1.5 years ago and it's always worked flawlessly but lately I often get the message above on my phone when I am out.

Also lately I will arrive home and when I enter the house I the camera sees me and notifies me of motion and it will do this until I open the app.

I am not sure what has changed but I don't like it. It was perfect for me before.

I have the camera in my home office and no one should be in there while I am gone and it was perfect because if someone snuck into my office I would catch them in the act. It was pretty rare for it to happen so it was just working in the background and I never had to think of it.

But now almost every day I get this notice and then it catches me on camera while I am in my office and keeps sending notifications until I open the app.

Now, I understand the app needs to be running but it should be in the background it's just not in the foreground (that would make the rest of the phone useless.

Any ideas on why this is and what the cure might be?

iphone 7+ running latest iOS, Original model Arlo and original model base station.

P.S. just checked and "Allow background app Refresh" is turned on and is on for the Arlo app.

101 REPLIES 101
murkipony
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having the same issue, tried to do the "do not optimize Arlo" in battery saving options.
It doesn't matter if we both we home or away it keeps giving me these notifications and the camera are offline now and then. When I close and reopen the app the cameras are able to go live but I still get these messages.

Have an updated HTC 10.
tj93p
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi,

I am still getting this error. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app, restarting the phone fixes the issue but sometimes I have to reboot 2-3 times. Power Saving mode and App Power Monitor are disabled.

Samsung S7, android 7.0 further details attached.
Z06sRule
Initiate
Initiate
I think i found the problem. Turn off GPS location fine tuning for Arlo location services. ONLY USE Wi-Fi and cellular for geofencing. This setting is in the battery drain settings for applications. Otherwise once you lose GPS you get the error message before Wi-Fi and or cellular kicks in.
varsur
Aspirant
Aspirant

I get the same message on both mine and my partner's phone. We use iPhone. Netgear any solution for this as its really annoying.

Seandiving
Aspirant
Aspirant
This advice worked for my system with my galaxy android phone perfectly. Setting, Connections, location, location methods, turn gps to wifi and data only. No more arlo geofencing errors.
neoshi
Aspirant
Aspirant

The problem with this solution is that is no longer exists with some Android 8.0+ (well, not on Pixel devices at least). Samsung and other mfgs may have somehow kept the ability to toggle the two location permission types, but I can tell you that on my 8.1 Pixel, you can only switch location entirely on or off, with no options to shut down on or the other type of location data.

Luckily I got my Arlo Pros from Costco (lifetime returns!) because Netgear products always run into BIG issues that affect their usability at some point. Sigh here we go again. Was really hoping I would be wrong about these this time since I didn't want to run Cat5e all over the house. 

varsur
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have this issue on IOS. Any soultion for IOS?
joje12
Tutor
Tutor

NetGear!

Are you ever going to fix the Geo Fencing feature?

I keep getting the "Geofencing needs an internet connection..."

It's now very clear from all the posts here that no effort has been put into this and that it affects many different mobile models.

Have two systems and consider to request a return.

dqubed
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue even with the Samsung 8+ ... can only turn location on or off! 

Very disappointed!

Jern
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same error on my Nexus 5x, fully up to date.

yealowman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Turning off the GPS worked.   I assume my problem is when at work the building isn't allowing good signal for data or GPS but I do have phone set to use company wi-fi.   But this isn't a fix only a work around.  I need to have GPS on for other apps.    Arlo needs find a soulution when no signal for GPS, use last know location or need to use all three before Geofencing does not engage (GPS, Wifi and data).   At worst maybe an option to manually engage when you get notice and resume when GPS signal returns..

steve_t
Master Master
Master

yealowman wrote:

Turning off the GPS worked.   I assume my problem is when at work the building isn't allowing good signal for data or GPS but I do have phone set to use company wi-fi.   But this isn't a fix only a work around.  I need to have GPS on for other apps.    Arlo needs find a soulution when no signal for GPS, use last know location or need to use all three before Geofencing does not engage (GPS, Wifi and data).   At worst maybe an option to manually engage when you get notice and resume when GPS signal returns..

Can you leave GPS on but turn off permission for the Arlo app to it?

Franciscc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James  Any new on the "Geofencing needs an internet connection..." issue?

Thanks Francis

Chuckda4th
Tutor
Tutor

New Pro 2 user hooked everything up in the last week.  iPhone 7 on iOS 11.2.5. Arlo app version 2.4.5.

Consistently getting the same error every time I get home since I turned on Geofencing.  Don't see anything in this thread that pertains to iOS - all the workarounds appear to be for Android. 

Any tips for getting this working as intended in iOS?

Thanks

chrisp_
Aspirant
Aspirant

My advice would be to box it up and send it back for a refund. 

Arlo don't seem to give flying f'ck about this issue which was introduced over a year ago.

I've got 3 of the things and wished I bought a more reputal brand.

noscamiam
Star
Star
I gave up on this feature quite awhile ago. Now I just tell Alexa to either arm or disarm Arlo as I leave and enter the house.
Chuckda4th
Tutor
Tutor

Has anyone gotten Stringify or some similar tool to drive this same functionality instead of Arlo's app?  Issue I'm seeing is that it doesn't look like Netgear's API supports changing modes via Stringify beyond the delivered "Arm" and "Disarm" modes. Modes I create aren't showing up.

I want to use this where it's "Arm"ed and I receive notifications when I'm not at home, but when I'm at home I still want it to record, but not send me iOS notifications.  I don't see any way to change the "Disarm" mode's settings such that it still records when disarmed.

I've tried IFTTT as well, but it looks like that doesn't work at all with Alro Pro 2.  No modes are appearing whatsoever.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

wrote:

Has anyone gotten Stringify or some similar tool to drive this same functionality instead of Arlo's app?  Issue I'm seeing is that it doesn't look like Netgear's API supports changing modes via Stringify beyond the delivered "Arm" and "Disarm" modes. Modes I create aren't showing up.

I want to use this where it's "Arm"ed and I receive notifications when I'm not at home, but when I'm at home I still want it to record, but not send me iOS notifications.  I don't see any way to change the "Disarm" mode's settings such that it still records when disarmed.

I've tried IFTTT as well, but it looks like that doesn't work at all with Alro Pro 2.  No modes are appearing whatsoever.

Pretty sure you can't choose custom modes via Stringify or IFTTT. Apparently you can with a custom DTH on Smartthings though

Th3sandm4n
Aspirant
Aspirant

From what I've seen is this error is more like a sessions error than location/wifi for me.

When I click to enter I need to re-auth (in this case it's when even the fingerprint auth fails and I need to login with username/password).

So I'm guessing there is some funkiness going on with their sessions

DDF250
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue on iPhone 7. Background app refresh on for Arlo app, battery "low power mode" is off. Also I can only see the first 50 replies on this thread even though it shows over 90 replies. Maybe the answer's in the other 40+ replies?

on edit: other 40+ messages showed up once I posted (browser issue maybe). Anyway, no iPhone solution. For now I will have to open the Arlo app every time I leave/get home. 

Chuckda4th
Tutor
Tutor
Not sure if Netgear updated anything., but this functionality has now been working as expected the last couple days.
Chuckda4th
Tutor
Tutor
Never mind. Spoke too soon. Still occurring.
GoogleHeadMS
Aspirant
Aspirant

iPhone X, iOS 11.2.5

This happens to me periodically, along with other bad iOS behavior, which causes me to hard crash-restart my iPhone almost every day.  Whe just restarting doesn't fix Arlo (and/or other apps) then first I go to the app switcher, close all apps (swipe up), then crash/hard restart.  Works fine after I do this (until the next time anyway), could be having many apps using GPS location causes things becoming confused.

Robert

JustJoe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is this thread still live? I’m having the same issues as others have described. Using iPhone 6s Plus that’s up to date with ios. 

neoshi
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yeah we're still here but Netgear hasn't done crap about it.

I'm also noticing that geolocatiom is even slower to detect us these days. Waiting on my wyze cam v2s to arrive to replace these.