Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Just bought my Arlo and have a couple concerns/questions

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Tech_fan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Last night when I opened my Arlo app, I had the app open for literally 10 minutes waiting for it to stop saying, "waiting for status" on the camera. I waited and shut down the app and tried again and still got the same message. i then restarted the hub and tried again and this time I only had to wait 3 minutes to view the live image. Then I closed it and a few minutes later, I tried again and 10 minutes passed and it would not view the live image so, i just gave up. Is this normal or common?

My driveway is about 50 feet long and 20 feet wide, I was hoping that I would be able to use one camera for the front but the motion seems to be only picking up a 10x10 radius so, i assume that I will probably need to have multiple cameras in the front to handle the driveway or pick and choose where i want motion better. I also noticed that the motion is handled when objects go across the camera. That tells me that i would only get side shots of the person walking in front of the camera and not be able to view their face. Is that a correct assumption or am I not approaching this whole motion thing correctly? Seem to be that side shots won't help catch the thief or be much of a deterrent. 

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) Seems like there was an Arlo server issue last night. Hopefully all is fine now.

2) Positioning of the camera can be problematic. One camera may not be sufficient for your case. Yes, any typical motion detection will work better across the FOV, just as with motion lights. Another camera opens up possibilities since you could build rules and modes to use one camera to trigger another if that would help in your scenario. Otherwise, it's trial and error to get the best location, position and sensitivity.