Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
sirsteve1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

Question/complaint - Two cameras show battery levels very erratically. For example, about a week ago, my breezeway cam said it had about 60+% remaining, ok fine. Garage cam has about 80%...Last night, garage cam improved to about 95% and breezeway cam is now at 15%. SERIOUSLY??? Anyone else have such a ridiculous issue?

15 REPLIES 15
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I would ask whay version of SW are on the cameras... there were problems with an recent versions

Arlo show be running 1.2.7730  ,    I believe.

( also so problems with reading in cold , but I believe 1) not that cold yet, 2) it was fixed in an updated sw.)

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
sirsteve1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

F/W version shows:

duckson
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same/similar problem here. 

Both cameras were at upper 60%'s but are now both reporting 98%, this only seems to have occured after the basestation and camera firmware updates in mid Sept (mine are at this latest release), they seemed ok before that on the odd occasion i checked (once a week/fortnight).

They have been on since early July and are not at 98%, that is for sure!

I've rebooted the basestation with no change, seems the firmware has messed it up.

sirsteve1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

And is Arlo going to do anything for this as more than one customer is now reporting this? If I can't rely on the battery readings, what use are they? Will there be a firmware update to fix does anyone know?

duckson
Apprentice
Apprentice
I would suspect not, seems to be lots of sync issues reported since the firmware.
Looks like I'll have to try rebooting the cameras themselves. 😞
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The new firmware may take the camera off line if the update can't complete...

see ; https://community.netgear.com/t5/Announcements/IMPORTANT-UPDATE-An-automatic-firmware-update-release...

and,  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/My-Arlo-camera-is-offline-since-the-release-of-...

Morse is faster than texting!
duckson
Apprentice
Apprentice
It's updated fine, they are online and operating correctly with the latest firmware it's just the reported battery life is wildly inaccurate now.
sirsteve1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm assuming that my firmware is the latest and if so, I really have no other options until maybe they fix it down the road? I did post my firmware levels earlier and it looks to be up to date. Apparently, we'll know when to replace batteries when the cam stops working...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

duckson, sirsteve1968

The recent firmware update contained fixes addressing battery optimization. The battery levels displayed prior to this update may have been inaccurate resulting in what you describe above. Please monitor the affected cameras and let us know if you experience any odd behavior with battery levels in the future.

JamesC

sirsteve1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

I believe I have the latest cam firmware (something like 1.7 bla bla..not looking at the exacts now, but wouldn't that be correct? Yet, one cam went from about 80% to 96% (a nice gain mind you) yet the other one, went from about 60% to 15% in a matter of a day or two. So, my question again is what do i need to do assuming the 1.7 web cam firmware is fine

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

sirsteve1968,

Consider replacing the batteries in the camera showing 15% with a fresh set and monitor the camera making sure the batteries are not draining at an abnormal rate. If the battery drains faster than expected please let us know.

JamesC

duckson
Apprentice
Apprentice

On the issue in hand, i've tried a reboot of the basestation (actual power off and on) and no difference in the battery readings.

I've tried a reboot of the camera by opening the battery door, no difference.

I've tried removing the camera and re-adding it, no difference.

I think the latest firmware has knackered it up.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try removing the camera in Settings, My Devices and then resync.

sirsteve1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hello,

In reviewing this thread further, it seems like there is NO fix issued by Netgear at this point. Have to see if taking batteries out, back in and/or replacing them does anything, but highly doubt it since my other camera went from about 60 something % to 95ish...cmon guys, get this fixed or give the option someday soon to plug them in. That's the key right there - OPTIONS! Thanks.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

sirsteve1968,

Are you using rechargeable batteries or are you using NETGEAR recommended one-time use CR123 batteries?

After performing the troubleshooting above (reinstalling batteries), have you noticed any changes in battery level? Are the batteries depleting as the camera is used?

JamesC