Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Internet speed for Arlo question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
slerch
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have CenturyLink as my internet provider.  As of now have the speeds of 18 Down and 1 Up.  We have 2 cameras set up at 40 and 48 feet from modem and Arlo home base.   Even after getting customer support help yesterday, still having same issue. Which is that the recording doesn't start till after motion sensor is activated, which is no good.  Didn't think that the distance is to far when I first bought unit.  Is there anything I could do so I can keep these cameras?  Any help would be great.  Thanks!!

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The lag may not be just due to your upload speed , but may be a setup problem... BTW, min recommended is 1Mbs up

It can be trial and error in setup AND there is a lag on the Alro cameras from the trigger event to the record start. ( low of 2 to 10 secs with some users )

So, try and capture a small area with the motion crossing the field of view as oppsed to straight on... also the sense level is adjustable by editing the Mode your using.

In one of my setups, I move the camera placement from the door to about 10 feet back aimed at the door... this allowed the subject coming in to trigger the record and even with lag, the subject was seen at the door and exiting.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
slerch
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi thanks for info. 
However, I have done all this and even one of your support techs got into my system to try to help.  She made adjustments to the camera that is above my garage.  With my trial and error, and her adjustments, still having the same effects.  If I put a wifi repeater unit closer to camera, will that help with my problem?

Maybe you can also help on another question 🙂

I am also trying out adding Arlo cameras to our church building.  We have 2 cameras set up so far and working good.  I am testing one of mine from my house now.  I tried it on our second floor, about 150 ft away from home base unit.  It lost connection.  We have Comcast business service for the building and have multiple wifi hot spots through out building.  Arlo says it can work up to 300ft.  Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks - Sean

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
"Up to" means in perfect conditions. It can be as low as 20-30 feet due to building construction, positioning, etc. You can't extend the WiFi connection between the base and cameras but you can reposition the base using long Ethernet cables or a wifi extender with an Ethernet port so the base can connect to it.