Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Elmar2001
Star
Star

Please move to old Firmware and App as soon as possible and make the system work again. A security system that does not work any more after an update is really crap.

You forced me and the community to move to the new app and renewed the firmware of the base station. Now the geofencing is not working any more. It says repeatedly, that the connection to the base station and internet is lost. When I am arriving at home, Arlo does not detect me any more.

Before the system run fine for a long time without problems. So do the customer a favor and go back and give him back a functional system. Immediately.

Thanks. Sorry, I am really angry, because I bought the system for security reasons and spend a lot of money and now it is not working. 

257 REPLIES 257
Rwf3820
Guide
Guide
Ok when I leave the set area it does not arm you have to do it manually as I get the internet lost message but when arriving home it disarms itself ok all be it only when I have parked on the drive not when I have enter the geofencing area as it should do
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Boomer_1 wrote:

Well IOS 13.2.3  worked once for me and then failed the second time. About like 13.2.2 did.

... As far as who is causing it, I do think IOS 13 probably did make some changes that caused the issue. 

FWIW, there have been quite a few bugs in IOS 13, including poor handling of background tasks.  Not sure Arlo could simply work around them all in the app.  For instance https://9to5mac.com/2019/11/01/ios-13-2-killing-background-apps/

Though it sounds like geofencing is working better with Blue Iris.   Are you sure that Blue Iris changed their app?  The most recent version I am seeing (1.63.10, January 2019) predates the IOS 13 beta.  https://apps.apple.com/us/app/blue-iris/id585350145

Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

You are correct that Blue Iris has not changed their app since Jan. 2019. I am running that version as well. There are several differences. For one, BI may(probably)  implement their geofencing function on the server differently. In addition the BI application is on my server and not some cloud server, so unknowledgeable people are not making changes and receiving Seagull droppings from who knows where. I also decide when to take the update. They tend to have smaller server upgrades at least once a month so they may have tweaked theirs in one of those. I have not kept track of every tweak. I usually look at them and if it is not something I am seeing, wait 2-3 weeks before updating. I specifically held off updating to the major Blue Iris 5 release until after IOS 13 was out. There were also some issues with BI out of the gate. During the IOS 13 updates BI geofencing worked fine. I updated to BI 5 about 3 weeks ago and it is still working fine. Not sure if it is related to their implementation being more sound or they put in an application change during the runup to IOS 13.

I also had a strange occurrence this afternoon. I was going to update my apps on my phone and specifically checked to see if their was an Arlo update. There was not. HOWEVER, as I watched them updating an Arlo update was downloaded and installed. It was 2.11 and its release date was Nov. 11, 9 days ago. So go figure. I have not tested it as my wife has not update her phone yet. Not sure if I just caught it before the flag was set, but with all the attention, if it has a fix they took their good sweet time. Since all the release notes were talking about the new doorbell they don't give any priority to customer impacting problems.

Rwf3820
Guide
Guide

I deleted this app and reinstalled it yesterday and it loaded with the 2:10  version it’s only when you mention there was an update I did I go back into the app on the App Store and it was then showing an update I have installed that and I’ll wait when I go out later to see if that’s cured the problem but I won’t hold my breath 

sh4ido
Aspirant
Aspirant
New version 2.11 available on the AppStore
Elmar2001
Star
Star
Still no changes. App must be open to detect changes of position.

This error is so easy to replicate. It should be easy to apply a fix. I still do not understand why Arlo is not providing a fix and let their customers alone with a not working system. They paid a lot of money for it.

Is there a possibility to get cash back for this unbelievable behavior?
Rwf3820
Guide
Guide

Updated the Arlo app now I don’t even get the geofencing lost message anymore at least that reminded me to manually set it the system is getting ripped out this weekend 

Maxch
Aspirant
Aspirant

Installed the new 2.11 version yesterday, same problem with geofencing.

tried also to remove the iPhone and add it again, but nothing changed.

LoneZwolf2
Apprentice
Apprentice
Same issue as Rwf3820.

Suddenly today I don’t even get the message that “Internet connection was lost”. It’s somehow getting worse.

So once again, if not indifference then it can only be incompetence.
sirgalahad
Aspirant
Aspirant
It’s worse than it was before. It would be funny how stupid Arlo is if I wasn’t stupid enough to buy their crap. I am doing everything in my power to make sure others don’t make the same mistake. Anytime I am asked about Arlo I say stay away, if I am at a store and I see someone looking at the Arlo I tell them to look at something else. If they aren’t going to fix it for us the. I will make sure Others don’t make the same mistake.
jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice
They are trading on their goodwill from 12+ months ago when Netgear managed it internally. That’s when most of the favorable reviews are from.

Hit the CEOs twitter previously posted here and they also have a sub Reddit. Amazon reviews sadly are all verified purchases now I think?
jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice
LoneZwolf2
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks for this. Didn’t occur to me to use IFTTT to arm/disarm Arlo. Guess I’ll try that. Only potential problem is that when I re-enter my zone, I want it to run on “Schedule” mode so I can have the cameras armed while I sleep.

Not sure if I can do that through IFTTT but I’ll give it a shot.
jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice

@LoneZwolf2 It is worth a go.  Arlo IFTTT integration is also (predictably) a little flaky.  But IFTTT does have great Life360 integration so you can get back (actually working - shocker!) multi user geofencing.  Scheduling will need another integration or a custom rule of some sort.

wenklaw0042
Guide
Guide
I moved away from IFTTT with Arlo because that’s also always breaking, it isn’t a solution in my humble opinion as you still need to check that the IFTTT trigger has worked
02redcavi
Guide
Guide

Geo fencing still not working, I regret ever buying this system and think something should come up to get our money back

Rwf3820
Guide
Guide
Are you even getting the message internet lost any more since I updated the Arlo app I don’t even get that anymore it just seems to get worst
Maxch
Aspirant
Aspirant
After the update to 2.11 seems impossible but is worse than before, now I do not receive the error anymore because geofencing seems not working at all in background now!
Yeah, congratulations to de developers!
Rwf3820
Guide
Guide

Just looking at the intro on the Arlo app and I quote “Arlo is the worldwide leader in smart home security” f they are the best I hate to see the worst

Rwf3820
Guide
Guide

Updated the other day to 2:11 which made it worst then it was just been on the Arlo app see there is another update today 2:11:1 but can’t see what that fixes

Maxch
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just installed the 2.11.1 now, let’s see.
Is not reported what it fixes, the release note reports the same fixes as the 2.11
Elmar2001
Star
Star
the leadership is quickly lost when they are not able to deliver a working system
Rwf3820
Guide
Guide
Don’t know what the 2.11.1 update is for it’s made no difference to my system geofencing still not working
02redcavi
Guide
Guide
I updated as well and made no difference
Maxch
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same here, no difference at all, geofencing in background is dead.